Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Pedalboard - Smorg's gone Metal! - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Pedalboard - Smorg's gone Metal!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    @digitalscream - I like how the vast majority of your last post is apologising for layout and messiness of cabling!! ;-)
    Well, the workmanship on the board is excellent (I should probably have opened with that), and my use of it is somewhat less so.

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I like the flap and as long as if you held it upside down, (ie: you picked it up wrongly at a gig), and nothing fell out, it works for me. A shoulder strap is a good idea.

Yeah, I've swung it around my head a few times. It's fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
    dindude said:

I personally like the fact that they are a bit different to the norm, seems to suit the style of the board itself, but I'm interetsed in general concensus. 

And both, we need to see pictures of your populated Grab's - I'm sure everyone's bored of me wittering on.

Point 1. Agreed - the fact they are different makes them stand out, I like them, and the flap looks great

Point 2. I'll try and do a couple of pics tonight

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    edited July 2015
    dindude said:

Cheers for the feedback so far.

@markslade07 I will look at what cost some extra ringlets would add so that a strap could be added.

@digitalscream the handle on all of them is slightly offset, this so that it angles slightly as you carry it with the opening end pointing upwards slightly, so there is no danger of a heavy board opening the flap by accident (although unlikely)

General question, does the fact of a flap instead of a zip type bag cause any concern? - it means that it isn't fully sealed like a zip bag (although the outer material is fully waterproof)

I personally like the fact that they are a bit different to the norm, seems to suit the style of the board itself, but I'm interetsed in general concensus. 

And both, we need to see pictures of your populated Grab's - I'm sure everyone's bored of me wittering on.

The bags look great - one thing I did like about my Pedaltrain Nano was the strap attachments which allowed you to fit it onto a gigbag (around the 'neck' part of the bag so it didn't slide downwards); might be worth thinking about if that design isn't final, although I know it'd be a bit of a faff.

EDIT: actually looking at it, a big wide (elasticated?) strap through the handle and around a gigbag would probably hold the bag in place as well as holding it closed...

And I'm hoping that my neighbour's got mine, had a 'sorry we missed you' courier card days ago but haven't managed to catch them in! Shall get photos as soon as I've got my paws on it...

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    Nice.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    edited July 2015
    Well, here's mine, all populated:

Feedback-wise, nothing but good news - feels fantastically sturdy, weight's spot-on, clearance underneath is perfect and the supplied Velcro and other bits do the trick nicely. 

If I had to do constructive criticism, I did toy with the idea of grinding out part of the gap by a millimetre or two simply so that the silly-arse plastic-cased magnet EM-interferance doodah that's attached to my Diago Micropower could sit on top of the 'board rather than underneath (it won't fit through the gap as-is), but that's really a personal preference thing; there's a 9V out on my Pitchblack+ so I used to run the other two pedals off that to avoid an unnecessary 5cm or so of power lead and there's not enough cable between the doodah and the 9V connector to do it. Can't see anyone else even considering that to be an issue though.

The only other thing is with them being so well-made, by hand, in the UK, a bit of a selling point could be actually advertising that on the board with a second one of the same style of badge as the 'Smorg' one in one of the corners? You know the schtick, little Union Flag with a 'handmade in the UK' - I do actually actively try to avoid buying new stuff made in China myself if I can avoid it, and being a big old hippy stuff that hasn't travelled hundreds of air-miles to get to me would be worth an extra 10% or so on the price...excellent work Daniel, hopefully you're onto a winner! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks for all the feedback and pics, much appreciated. Next stop, finish the website!
    edited July 2015
    @dindude let me know when you've sorted the final carry bags out and got a price, I will be interested
    @dindude let me know when you've sorted the final carry bags out and got a price, I will be interested
    Final bags should only be a week or so away, I'll Pm you. And nice board btw!
    Ta muchly!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    These look great
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    TimmyO said:
    These look great
    They are :)
    <space for hire>
    edited July 2015
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    edited July 2015
    Here's my Grab 600!
    Sorry about the lack of cool pedals :)
    It's ace and so well built.. Also another bonus is I haven't got to bend over so far when operating the pedals..Serious added bonus I'd not thought of.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag391/tonysmyth1/Mobile Uploads/407EC215-2F98-4D34-8CDB-347B621D5C6A_zps0ghol44l.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Glad you're liking it!

Well, I've now also got the bag to add to the Grab500 board, and I just wanted to pop along on here and say what a cracking job @dindude has done with both of them. The board it brilliantly made, and seems more than robust enough to stand up to many years gigging. The bag is also great; again, it seems to be really well made, perfect fit for the board and has plenty of height if you have taller pedals. Overall, there is nothing not to like. :)

I'm also really liking how both that and the board stand out from being different to the 'mainstream' players boards in terms of design and styling. You certainly know its a Smorg and that is not a bad thing at all!

I would highly recommend anyone thinking about a new board to check them out and drop him a message and see what he can do for you, you won't regret it.

Great stuff @dindude, I may well order a bigger one from you later down the line when I start gigging again and need something a bit larger. 

Thanks @markslade07 - feedback greatly appreciated!

From the seed of a protoype and the start of this thread in early June, to getting some boards out in the wild, designing and sourcing the bag etc, it's been a fun process so far.

Thanks to all who have taken a punt on a Smorg on the basis of this thread alone when it would be just so easy to go with the well established options.

I'm going to start to wind up this thread over the coming days and will start a new all encompasing one for updates which hopefully should start with the launch of the Smorg website within the next week!

I will be offering a launch discount to forumers as a thank you for thefretboard being a such great launch pad.

Watch this space.............

• FaCowFaCow Frets: 40
    I love that 2 pedal size. Going to try and hunt down your website...
    FaCow said:
    I love that 2 pedal size. Going to try and hunt down your website...
    Thanks. Don't look too hard for the website just yet, aiming to be up and running by Wed next week.