Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). typical delay settings - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

typical delay settings

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 182
now i've snuck an all singing and dancing delay pedal into the house, using our dalmation for cover so I didn't get spotted spending money

are there "typical" delay settings that are known and loved?  

as a starter for 10 I know that there is the rockabilly type slapback echo which is about 100ms, no feedback, single echo

are there others?  

thanks

nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    nickp said:
    now i've snuck an all singing and dancing delay pedal into the house, using our dalmation for cover so I didn't get spotted spending money

Pun intended?
    :o3
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    @EricTheWeary

of course!
    found another one

200-500ms, maybe three repeats, mix less than half of dry volume, maybe a tape or analogue delay (ie not too bright)

for soaring leads

• Try steady down picking then twiddling the knob until you get triplet repeats. It makes you sound epic (look up big sur moon).

It's a gimmick setting, but one that can work well for a neo classical style riff. Pth use it to good effect in one of the new songs, and malmsteem has long used it, as well as Paul Gilbert.

Max everything. Yup, everything. At the end of the set. Sound epic. Pretend you're a rock god. Drop the mic. Leave.
    It took me ages to realise ( well, I didn't realise it at all I just stumbled upon it) that the typical old school reggae delay is in triplets. This can be a bit tricky to count in but easy enough if your pedal can do triplets ( like my tc X4)
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1221
    edited October 2013
  • David Gilmour type echoes tend to live around 360 - 440ms, with the repeat volume around 30% and feedback to taste.  Even if your not a big Gilmour fan it's a damn good ballpark area for delay adding a bit of atmosphere to parts.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1042
    I like the way Satriani has his...

starts around the 11:52 mark

2 pedals, one short (400ms) and one long (600ms)

wibble said:
    I like the way Satriani has his...

starts around the 11:52 mark

2 pedals, one short (400ms) and one long (600ms)

I think quite a few people do that, fairly sure that's what Billy Duffy does as well. Rocktastic.
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @paulk

great link thanks - an idiot's guide about where to start with delays

have a "wisdom" on me!

Nick

• littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited October 2013
    Vai has a pitch shift of +900 (short delay) and a +500 (long delay) for Balerina.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • viz said:
    Vai has a 900 (short) and a 500 (long) for Balerina.
    But they come back at different pitches, right?
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Yes soz I was writing on auto pilot. Corrected.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • viz said:
    Yes soz I was writing on auto pilot. Corrected.
    Good man ;-)