Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NBD - a five-string at long last. But what? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NBD - a five-string at long last. But what?

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7749
Some of you may have been following my "what bass" thread, and I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath to see what I'd go for. Well, on Monday a friend told me about a secondhand 5-string in the shop he works at, on Tuesday I gave it some serious thought, on Wednesday I asked him for the shop's number and gave them a call. Turned out it wasn't actually on display, it belonged to a bandmate of the shop's owner and was sitting in its case behind the counter (I think it had been in the shop but he was about to advertise it privately). So yesterday morning I called them back and did the deal - managed to knock them down from £700 to £650, and with free delivery! And about half an hour ago, it arrived.

So. What is it?

Well...

Not so many clues there... but let's get the box open?

Hmm, that's a nice case. Is it the right way round?

No, as it turns out. And it still isn't, until now...

Ibanez Premium, you say? Well, let's crack it open to find out.

Oooh, I'm such a tease aren't I.

Nice wenge neck though - great shape and I'm a total sucker for the open-pore feel.

Hmmm, getting closer. More lovely wood...
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    edited April 2015
    Fuck it, you've waited long enough haven't you.

So there it is - my new Ibanez SR1205! These are about £900 new so I was very pleased to get it secondhand, in super-clean condition and very well set-up (by the friend I mentioned earlier, who is also the best bassist I've ever met), for £650. Could use a new set of strings but whatever. It feels great, I haven't plugged it in yet but I'm sure it'll sound great too. And while I was set on something more classic-looking, I really like the look of this model and everything else about it is perfect spec-wise, so I'm dead chuffed.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Lovely.

I wish I could get on with 16.5mm string spacing. Too narrow for me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    Very nice indeed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've played the 4 string version of this, it is a nice bass, lots of sounds in them. Congrats!
  • Nice looking guitar. Can I show my ignorance and ask if the fifth string is at the bottom or the top of the fretboard? I understand that bass strings are EADG. What note is the fifth string?
  • B below the E
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    Indeed, low B.

A six-string bass has a low B and a high C.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1394
    Nice gas Connor, what's the low b like?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Very nice. I like the look of those. :D

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Frankieabbot;600084" said:
    Nice looking guitar. Can I show my ignorance and ask if the fifth string is at the bottom or the top of the fretboard? I understand that bass strings are EADG.

What note is the fifth string?
    The convention is for a low B- BEADG , but some people add a high C- EADGC instead.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Good work Bucket!
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1394
    UnclePsychosis;601093" said:
    [quote="Frankieabbot;600084"]Nice looking guitar. Can I show my ignorance and ask if the fifth string is at the bottom or the top of the fretboard? I understand that bass strings are EADG.

What note is the fifth string?
    The convention is for a low B- BEADG , but some people add a high C- EADGC instead.
    [/quote]

I have got mine tuned aeadg that's for metalz though
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2230
    Lovely bass.

When you're changing the strings, if you find the low B too floppy, try a .135 low B, it sits really well on a 34" scale neck.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • A five string ought to be a Tele with the low E removed....

but I have to say, that's a purdy looking bass. Nice GAS!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Love it, they use brilliant woods on these, nice purchase.