Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What is this called then - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What is this called then

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8733
edited April 2015 in Theory

When you play 0 1 2 chord on the low E, A# and E as the basis for a riff in E and play a B Harmonic minor scale (Raised seventh) over it.  In the 12th position, B harmonic minor kind of resembles E Dorian at first. E 15-14-12, B 15-14-12-11, etc and also 15 on the G string (Same as 11 on the B string) fits to be a B harmonic minor scale as the raised seventh.

I trying to work out some George Lynch stuff, but all I gather so far is an aggressive playing style and a load of repeated patterns or licks mainly.  I think I'm just trying to pull some theory out of it and improve my fretboards sounds, links and knowledge I suppose. 

Is that chord called a dissident one?  Has anyone who understands these things any suggestions?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Lynch uses lots of powerchords - reason being that any distortion mushes up complex chords, so chords stay simple root, fifth, root - if he wanted to play bigger chords with that much distortion he'd need another guitarist or more likely double tracks or use a synth..

So that's a standard powerchord pattern with a lowered 5th. It will make a flat 5th chord. Basically in the non-synthetic scales a flat 5th also suggests (IMO) the 3rd and 7th degrees are flatted too. It's a dissonant chord, alright, in that kind of context.

I can't recall the harmonic minor modes off the top of my head, so it might be it has several flat 5th intervals... or even some raised 4th intervals.

Hope that helps.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8733
    Dissonant, yeah that is what I think I meant.  Sounds clashy.
    It's using a tritone, they used to be banned in the middle ages... in fact people were writing sternly worded letters to their local music magazines in the 1940s when they were used in Jazz...

That powerchord is the simplest implementation - it's like anything, framed correctly it can be many different things.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Sambostar said:
    Dissonant, yeah that is what I think I meant.  Sounds clashy.
    Dissident is a much better name for Clashy chords.

Chords that get up the noses of the establishment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    The harmonic minor's 4th mode is the Romanian scale, so b harmonic minor has the same notes as E Romanian. The romanian scale is like a dorian with a augmented 4th. It's a lovely scale and sounds awesome over that augmented 4th power chord. Other modes of the harmonic minor also have that aug 4 (or dim 5 sometimes), such as the 2nd mode, the E locrian #6 scale (which uses the same notes as d harmonic minor), or my favourite, the 6th mode, the E lydian #6 scale (which uses the same notes as g# harmonic minor). Or you could play E Lydian, Locrian or super locrian scales of course.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    I'II take a few months digesting that....or understanding it.  But thanks I need to know it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    I probably didn't describe it well then because it is actually really straightforward - I'm a genius when it comes to making simple things complex - sorry!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    I work on the philostophy of sounds first, labels later.. :)

I was just a bit impressed with myself that something seemed to fit that actually was theory.  I think the basis for the sound is the fourth.

A--------------13

E---12-14-15

I never really thought about applying modes to scales other than major diatonic shaped ones.  I thought that was it.  Oh dear.