Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). ES-339 Pickup Change - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

ES-339 Pickup Change

What's Hot
Hi All

I have an Epiphone ES-339 and i would like to know which pickups
would be a direct replacement for what's in it.

Also,can anyone tell me how difficult a job this is please.

Thanks

Alan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• In most Sheratons and Dots etc the 'standard' upgrade tends to be Gibson 57s.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    The Gibson version comes with 57 Classics, which generally work very nicely in semis.

As for difficulty of fitting, the answer is "very". The tricky bit is to get the pots in and out without having an aneurism. The best way I've found is using silicon tubing throughout the holes, rather than the old-school fishing line method.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Well I haven't played the 339 for a while so i just got it out and had a play around.

Needs some new strings but i had forgotten how well it sounds.

I was expecting to see a cavity on the back for access to the pots,imagine my surprise
    when I saw it wasn't there.
    First thoughts were how the hell do i get those out.

Do the pots/caps need changing as well as the pickups?

I do like the sound of the 57 Classics,so the job will have to be done,or i'll end up selling the guitar.

Alan

• ROOGROOG Frets: 549

I'm quite liking the HBs in my Epi for the moment, but I would be interested in this too.

Do people consider the investment in Gibson 57 Classics be worth the effort?

• Well I have a Sheraton with 57s and the are far, far better than the stock ones I had tried - although I did the swap straight off.

I've not tried one but have read many praising reviews of the Epi 339 then I would consider a 339 with 57 an outstanding guitar for the total cost.

• Pots are only worth upgrading if you use them and need a better or different taper, really. Caps are, theoretically, all the same, too - paper in oil is prettier to look at, but other than that...

As for pickups, I'd take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Before you splash out, look into oil city :) I can't help but plug that guy, he's a forum regular (guitar weasel) and makes fine pickups, as well as being an all around helpful chap. He'll likely know about wiring a semi (Oooer missus).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If you just want to do the job so it works, and you aren't too bothered about doing it the *right* way, you can cut and splice the pickup wires in the cavities under the pickups. If you're going to do it, leave enough length of wire on the old pickups (at least an inch, more if there's enough slack) so you can re-attach them if you change your mind, and coil up the wires from the new pickups instead of cutting them short.

You need to solder and insulate (heatshrink preferably) the connections rather than twist and tape them - although I can't deny that twist and tape also works if you do it thoroughly...

This is *not* the proper professional way of doing it, but if you're not a proper professional then it's about ten times easier than taking the wiring loom out to do it the right way.

I didn't say that of course ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sounds like a method from an Al Qaeda training video.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I know :).

But really, if you do solder the splices and insulate, it's exactly as good as doing it the 'right' way, just not 'proper' - there's no difference electrically.

Twisted and taped is definitely not as good, but it's effective enough if you're just trying pickups or doing it yourself and don't have the tools or skills to solder it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Well today was Epiphone ES339 maintenance day. Lemon oiled the fretboard,it was filthy. New Set of D'Addario 10's checked intonation,and cleaned. I also adjusted the action and raised the pickups. It goes through Waves GTR3 amp sim,with a Redwirez Vox Impulse. To be honest it doesn't sound at all bad,I think more tone adjustment may pay dividends. Of course it's not a Gibson,but will be happy with it when it settles down? Alan
    Hi Guys

I suppose the bottom line question is,do I put Classic 57's in the Epiphone and hope it comes close,
    or get a Gibson and have done with it.

Comments appreciated.

Alan

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    if it helps sway you, the Epi with new pickups will be worth roughly the same as it is now, whereas a used Gibson ES339 will probably never lose value. 

The only answer is to go try some "real" ones ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Problem with trying one is that no-one has them where i live.

Nearest one to me is close to London,and i live in Preston.

• 57s in an epi will get close, pretty darn close. The main component you'll be missing is the nitro finish, which is more icing on the cake than primary tone.

If it's anything like a 335, it's a laminate body with centre block - the epi should be identical in construction.
  • 57s in an epi will get close, pretty darn close. The main component you'll be missing is the nitro finish, which is more icing on the cake than primary tone.

If it's anything like a 335, it's a laminate body with centre block - the epi should be identical in construction.
    Completely agree with this.  As lovely as the Gibson is if you can afford one, to most the excellent build quality of a lot of the Epi semis upgraded with 57s mean unless you have an extra £1000+ to spend you are getting pretty close.
    Well I just did a deal and bought the Gibson.

I have had fenders all my life and I think it's about time i had
    a Gibson.

I will have it next week sometime,can't wait.

If it's as good as everyone say's they are i will be well pleased.

Thanks for all the help.

Alan

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1427
    Bold move!  Well done.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    Excellent - let us know how it goes!
  • Saw the thread was updated as excitedly expected pictures. :(
    edited October 2013
    Starting new thread with pictures in Guitar