Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What are the best value acoustic strings? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What are the best value acoustic strings?

What's Hot
holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
I need some new ones and would prefer to spend as little as possible, but without them being utter shite, just need them to hold the tuning reasonably well.

I've seen Peavey ones for £2.49, are they poo?
My V key is broken
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4759
    edited August 2013
    If they work for you, they are not poo.  I try to buy my strings in a box of 10 packs.  This saves me about £10 in the long run.  It may not sound like a big saving, but while I'm looking for a job, it can help.

I hope this helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I was given a couple of sets of those cheap Peaveys. Didn't put them on until I had to and although they're not great, they got me through two gig's without replacing. D'Addario only get through one gig.
    That said I would go with Elixir. Yes they are expensive but I love the tone and I can leave them on till they snap. They don't go dull. I think the longest I ever managed to get a set to last me was 3 months with between one or two gigs a week. Yes I am tight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    I bought a bunch of martin strings a few years back that I quite liked. Much cheaper than d'adds. Dunno about the peaveys, never used 'em.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    I might go with the Peavey for now until I can afford Elixirs. I just want to keep playing really, my current strings are dead now, had them on for around two years maybe.
    My V key is broken
  • elixir. 4 x the playing time for 3 x the cost. bargain. good tone too.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

my two cents on the Elixirs - I find the acoustic versions too metallic sounding.

I dont mind them on electrics though.

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    @holnrew a little tip if you've never done it, just to keep them going longer. Get a hanky and spray some WD40 on it, wipe it over you're strings and hey presto, longer life strings. Just don't get too much on your fretboard.
  • or, boil them for 10 min in a saucepan. you'd be surprised at how much crap comes out of the windings. i don't think it will work on plain strings
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    elixir. 4 x the playing time for 3 x the cost. bargain. good tone too.
    Or 20 tiems the playing time for 2 times the money if you have my sweat and tenacity when it comes to deal hunting... :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2013
    All strings stay in tune if they're fitted and stretched in properly, that isn't going to be a problem with the Peaveys. The issues with cheaper strings are feel, tone and life expectancy for corrosion and breakage. I doubt anything made by Peavey is going to be poorly engineered though, so I'd give them a try.

I still think standard D'Addarios EJs are some of the best value - they're extremely consistent, seem to last a long time and are about average price. It depends what you mean by 'last a long time' though... I don't really like 'new sounding' strings - if you do, you probably don't want them since they stop sounding new very quickly, but then last in the 'not new but not dead' stage for a long time. Others like Dean Markleys and Martins seem to sound new for longer, but last less well once they get to the 'not new' stage and go directly to 'dead' very quickly.

Personally I detest Elixirs for both feel and tone. The only coated strings I've ever tried that I liked are the new DR ones. I like DRs anyway, they are expensive but they feel and sound good and seem to last a long time, although I have had some problems with consistency with them. They also seem to last well in the way I like, ie longest in the 'not new but not dead' stage.

The WD40 trick is good but only extends the middle part of the life expectancy, not the 'new' sound. I would definitely avoid getting any on the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I don't care about tone while I'm learning technique. I suppose the only concern is for my fingers. Giving the Peaveys a shot then.
    My V key is broken
  • I can recommend the peaveys !
    As good sounding and lasting as Martins. And for 2.49 ya can't go wrong :)
    cheers Mark .
    Oh that's good. I ordered some last night
    My V key is broken