Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Danelectro Guitars - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Danelectro Guitars

What's Hot
streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1628
I feel like I need one.

Am I dementing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• rprrpr Frets: 302
    I have a red U2 which i got when they were first reissued-tis a wonderful wee thing.Had it cranked up through a marshallstack with a guvnor pedal with no signs of squealing, which people would have you believe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    One brand that I really don't like. I'm sure they are fine guitars though, just not for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited April 2016

http://i.imgur.com/qB6DL3G.jpg

Convertible

Surprisingly much more different from the standard electrics than you might expect from the appearance - the body is slightly deeper, but completely hollow. It's supposed to be usable as an acoustic as well, hence the name, although it isn't really - or not for more than practicing, anyway - it's not very loud, and quite tinny. It's quite a good electric though - it sounds cheap, but in a good way. Feeds back to a fairly extreme degree even at very low volume, which I like :). Super cool, if not exactly "great". For some reason my kids love it - it's their favourite out of all my guitars.

Beware though - this one needed quite a bit of work to make it really playable when I got it. It just wasn't made quite right in the first place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1628
    Lovely stuff chaps. Inspirational. 

I've just bought two! :-S

Pics to follow. 
    edited August 2013

Keen Green!

Aqua?

• Watched J J Cale's 'To Tulsa and Back' DVD. He was playing a double cut Danelectro reissue on most of his gigs featured in the film. It sounded mighty fine!
    The centre position on the keen green one is really, really nice. Tuned it to DADGAD for now. 

I need to get some new strings on them and clean the fretboards. 

So far so good! 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502

Keen Green!

I've got a red one of those 'Pro's. Tuned to open G, amp driven to light breakup, and the pickups sound fantastic and sparkly. I believe they are a little hotter than standard dano pups, so would be interested to know if you hear a difference between the two you've bought?
    Yes Horse, they are higher output. 

Loving the necks, nowhere near as skinny as you might expect. Decent sized frets too. 
    :D
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    Yes Horse, they are higher output. 

Loving the necks, nowhere near as skinny as you might expect. Decent sized frets too. 
    :D
    Interesting - I'd definitely call the neck on mine skinny.

I also find mine still sounds good even with very old strings!

Nice colour btw.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited August 2013
    Here is my DC59 with sitar bridge
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

Aqua?

Wow- that's a gorgeous one!  I'm jealous.  Great buy.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I have a deep urge in the direction of one of those Wild Things, I may not be able to suppress mucho longer...

You'll take an eye out with that thing!

For me, I'm thinking a 12 string is in order... 
    You'll take an eye out with that thing!
    I think it's being born before the moon landings and expecting to grow up having holidays on mars and ultimately finding it looks a lot like Weston super mare. I need a little bit of the Jetsons in my life..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Had my U2 for about 12 years and I love it as much as my les Paul and tele.
    And I agree it's sounds just as good with really old strings strangely :-?
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    edited August 2013
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cheeky sunburst!
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
      Agreed- that's a nice one, too.
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    ddlooping said:
    @paulk: your photo :)
    Thanks! Technical fubar :(

• tbmtbm Frets: 541
    Danos rule. I've been a longtime fan of the Longhorn (selling one actually - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/558/fs-danelectro-longhorn-guitar#latest) but pretty much any of the shapes, save for the Wild Thing, do it for me.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    The longhorn is beautiful - always wanted one of those. trying desperately not to look at your listing @tbm :)

• tbmtbm Frets: 541
    Ah go @JookyChap, sure it's only tiny! Ye won't even feel it going down.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    Ah, if it is still here on the 15th I probably will :)

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    I just don't get Danos.

No offence to anyone here at all, honestly, but I think they look like toy guitars. Which, perhaps is part of the charm for those who like them.

Mind you, I don't like offsets either which probably just confirms that (a) I'm a bit of an idiot (b) my opinion is worth diddly.

Just sayin'  
    B-)
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Chuffola;8635" said:
    I just don't get Danos.

No offence to anyone here at all, honestly, but I think they look like toy guitars. Which, perhaps is part of the charm for those who like them.

Mind you, I don't like offsets either which probably just confirms that (a) I'm a bit of an idiot (b) my opinion is worth diddly.

Just sayin'  

B-)

They feel like toy guitars too being hollow!

• jatgtr said:

They feel like toy guitars too being hollow!

In a good way of course. 
  • rprrpr Frets: 302
    edited August 2013
    They do tend to polarise guitarists opinions in my experience, Peiople either dislike mine calling it a 'toy' or love it. Coincidentally or not I tend to 'get on better' musically with the people who dig it and have next to nothing in common with the haters.