Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). my ideas: no 2 - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

my ideas: no 2

midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
Don't worry, this is not going to become some sort of series.... I've only ever had two ideas. .. As with no. 1 this probably isn't my idea at all but ignorance is bliss...

So ideally time based effects should come after distortion stages. If you're getting distortion in the power amp as well as the preamp section of your amp then time based effects really need to come after the whole shebang.
(I know some people are happy to run delays into driven amps as part of the effect itself but I'm really talking about space generating gilmour esque echoes.)

There are number of ways of doing this-see for example Eric Johnson's 2001 rig on guitar geek, where Eric adds the delay to the mic'd signal at the pa desk. Another option is a second amp to run a wet dry rig. The ideal of course is that the sound guy knows your songs and adds a high quality delay at the desk exactly when you need it.

Neither approaches are particularly accessible for us mere weekend warriors.

So the idea is thus:
To have an fx unit which plugs into the insert on the guitar channel on the desk but is wirelessly controlled by a foot switch on your pedal board. The footswitch would have the control knobs for the delay and would transmit that information to the unit over at the mixing desk.
No need for it just to be limited to delay-could have this for any effect.

I would envisage a small box at the desk end with a couple of metres of cable so you give it to the sound guy, he plugs it in and then sits the box somewhere out of the way.

Delay is added at the ideal location in the chain and you still retain complete control over when and how much.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter