Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). To Mod or Replace: JVM over JVM JS - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

To Mod or Replace: JVM over JVM JS

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1583
So, Im pondering out loud really. I like the JVM I have and I used to love it. However, it doesnt cut through so I ponder about either modding it to get the best from it or just sell it and get the JVM as it has all the stuff Id like to do. I can sell the JVM (got a friend whos keen to buy) but should I mod or just get shot and get the JVM Joe Satch?  My only thing really is that Ive never changed the valves in it but they dont seem to be needing to be replaced...

Thoughts/Advice/Experiences?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    If you think you might sell it at some point then I'd lean towards changing it now rather than modding it - I'd be wary of buying a modded amp so you might find it harder to sell in future (even if the mods can be reversed and improve it).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What speaker cab are you using and what are you trying to cut through (band/genre wise)?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited October 2013
    I would sell it. These are not easy amps to work on so you'll end up paying someone quite a lot to mod it, and end up with something not *that* much different, regardless of what the modders claim, quite possibly harder to sell, and not under warranty from Marshall if they'll even look at it at all - this matters, since the most common faults on them are to do with the switching logic and aren't that easy for your average tech (that includes me!) to diagnose and fix.

The JS version has the most useful changes done anyway, comes with full warranty and easy resale if you don't like it, and the only disadvantage is if you really need reverb... but since the one on the standard JVM isn't all that great anyway, if you're serious about reverb it's better just to get a pedal.

Also what guitarfishbay said about speakers. If you're currently using a standard Marshall cab with G12T-75s, switching to V30s - even just two of them in a 4x12" - will make a huge difference to the presence and projection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 731
    edited October 2013
    The JVM was voiced for V30's. From my experience I would sell the JVM coz modding it (for me) didn't do the job. If you must have a Marshall I would go for a JS model. If you want a better sounding amp altogether get an EVH 100III and you can get them used and save yourself some cash!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    You know what I think :)
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1583
    Im using V30s in the 4 x 12 I borrowed at the practise pad but I tend to use a set of GT12-75s so Im going to try them soon again with a different guitar. I think the guitar Ive been using is too ice picky anyway so Ill have to try a few axe's and see whats what.. 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    Think you had an EVH5150III before didn't you Jetty?
    I had an original 5150 but not an EVH.. .
  • You gotta try an EVH 100III with matching 4x12 mate- awesome! IMHO!
    Dont really need a 4 x 12 as I have a Zilla 2 x 12, its just what do I need now to sit on top of it. I do admit Im gassing for the JVM JS and the EVH 3 100.. Not that I need 100 watts ... 
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 731
    edited October 2013
    I had a super fatboy zilla cab with a pair of creambacks in it and it sounded really good with the EVH. JVM's seem to break down a lot!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Drew_fx said:
    You know what I think :)
    "I'd like to be peed on by an asian woman'?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter