Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sweet Child of really annoying.... - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sweet Child of really annoying....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    jpfamps said:
    Sweet Child of Mine, the new Stairway.
    Exactly.

After working in guitar shops around the time this came out, I f'ing hate this song!
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I remember John Wheatcroft saying in GT it's awkward until you limit it to the first three fingers..trying to use the fourth finger in the mix it kinda messes it up..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 673
    sheraton52;86576" said:
    I remember John Wheatcroft saying in GT it's awkward until you limit it to the first three fingers..trying to use the fourth finger in the mix it kinda messes it up..
    This is true, however I chopped off half my little finger so have no choice but to play everything with only three fingers.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8733

I was GNR fan since Appetite was released and Sweet Child solo was the first decent solo I actually managed to nail at 16, mainly because I practiced it six hours a day, seven days a week.

I loved the song at the time, because it was three chords and easy to make sound good, even with a single guitar in the mix and, of course I could nail the Party piece. 

But I also hated that song a bit even then because my intonation was always out as the bridge was liable to move on my Les Paul copy.  I always played the intro with three fingers, I can't see that it is hard, unless you cannot remember the melody.

These days it ranks on a par with Cher's 'Believe' which was one of five songs the factory I worked at for a year, played back to back as it was all they would dish out for.  Seriously head fucking.

I always though Slash stole and adapted Ratt's 'Scene of the Crime' intro for Sweet Child of Bum.

Also Nightrain sounded alot like the Back for More chorus

(GNR) It's so Easy - She wants money (Ratt)

(GNR) Anything Goes - Back For More

(GNR) Rocket Queen - You're in trouble (Ratt) verse sections

....maybe there is nothing there and it was just an eighties thing, there there seem to be a few parallel in the formula

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    I don't know how you could play Sweet Child very week.  I'd be like 'Sorry folks, tonight it is Mr Crowley'
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Sambostar said:
    I don't know how you could play Sweet Child [e]very week...
    It would probably be cos it pays the wages ;)
  • supessupes Frets: 159
    Great song. Great band (at the time). Well worth learning.
  • Sambostar;92510" said:
    I don't know how you could play Sweet Child very week.  I'd be like 'Sorry folks, tonight it is Mr Crowley'
    The answer, as with all party setlist discussions, is "because drunk girls".

Function/party bands play what the crowd wants, at least the successful ones do.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    I have told this story before but I was in a duo called Double Whammy, playing van halen covers in south africa and an "oke" with a gun threatened to shoot us if we didn't stop playing that shit, so we switched to UB40. So that's my definition of being successful, or "alive" as we call it.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    edited December 2013
    Sambostar said:

Depends on the audience.

Pub band - SCoM

Rock club - Mr Crowley

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Those same, slightly older pub cliental who insist on hearing SCoM, and are old enough to remember '87/88, back in the earlier days of Appetite, dismissed it as heavy metal trash.  They are hypocrites of the highest order. 

IF SCoM was good, it was ONLY so because of the intricate guitar interactions between Izzy and Slash, even though it s a simple three chord song, it needs a 5 piece band to nail it.  Sick of hearing it from two people and a drum machine at a venue without a licence, thinking it will do because the singer can sing it.

These hypocrites need a good dose of Mr Crowley DAP fisting, Flying HIgh, No Bone Moviies, Bark at the Moon or any Ozzy song which is essentially a single guitar part song and truely playable with two people playing it, plus you can add a 10 minute stand alone guitar solo in their too.

Do you know how many years I suffered before Guns and Roses became mainstream?

I was wearing cowboy boots everyday and three years later I see them appearing for sale in the mens fashion departments by which time I had moved on.

GNR sounds shyte on a single guitar.  These audiences have no idea.  And arm tattoos, back in the day they were a badge of honour of a seasoned rocker and expensive.  These days every poofter has em and tatt palours are everywhere.

Hypocrites....lol

I remain embittered and unemployable.

And Viz, you may have your life, but how can you live with the guilt on your conscience?  Seriously that sounds scary man.
  • @Sambostar I think you may be taking things a little personally. 

My point was not about guys who were around in the 80's, but girls who are now in their 20's who have never heard of Mr Crowley, Bark At The Moon, etc but go nuts for SCOM, Mr Brightside and Sex On Fire
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Sambostar said:
    GNR sounds shyte on a single guitar.  These audiences have no idea. 
    We did "November Rain" -- a really pretty Lithuanian girl asked for it -- we hadn't brought the orchestra so we did it with a harmonica, and okay just a single guitar.  It may have needed another guitar but I think we got away with it.  :)