Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). People you've seen live that were either better than expected or were a bit of a disappointment - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

People you've seen live that were either better than expected or were a bit of a disappointment

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
edited October 2013 in Music
Peter Green - absolutely magic - especially the pitch perfect bends on an acoustic version of Albatross. You could have heard a pin drop.

Clapton earlier this year at Manchester Arena - jaw-droppingly good - I'd seen him twice before and he was ok but the Manchester gig was something very special.

Roger Waters The Wall at the O2 a year or so back - technically brilliant - could have been good but was curiously uninvolving.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    Last time I saw Gary Moore it was unbelievably boring :(
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Soundgarden at the O2 in Brixton a couple of weeks back. Sound guy must've had cloth ears - there was nothing but a booming kick drum and a buzzing which was either the vocals or the guitar (couldn't quite tell which). Bass was totally absent.

I even tried standing next to the desk, leaning over so I could hear what the sound guy was hearing...it was at this point that I realised he was wearing in-ear monitors (I initially thought they were ear plugs, but they had a wire going to a radio pack on his belt). What a stupid fucking idea...he's mixing the band without any kind of idea of what they actually sound like.

On a positive note...Cast at V96 (yes, that long ago). Absolutely blew everybody else away, including both the headliners (Pulp and Supergrass). Not even my kind of music, but they opened with History which immediately got my attention.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 673
    edited October 2013
    Not sure if this counts but the bands that have blown me away the most are ones I'd never heard of before and caught me by surprise. Namely 'White Zombie' 'Skunk Anansie' but the one that really sticks out was 'Incubus' this was when he still had dreads and around the 'enjoy' ep time, fckn amazing. Whitesnake were disappointing and rather boring. Also I'll add that despite my high expectations every time I see 'Tool' they're better than I remember. Went to see 'The who' at Albert hall just to tick the box and they were much better than I expected, still really full of energy.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited October 2013
    viz;49096" said:
    Last time I saw Gary Moore it was unbelievably boring :(
    This. He also had a face like a smacked arse through most of the set when I saw him.

Last time I saw Paul Rodgers he did a 40 minute set then walked off. :x
  • Keith Harris and Orville kicked ass!

Back to the subject though.

I've never been disappointed by an established act to a significant extent.

I guess my only "disappointment" was when I went to see Iron Maiden with Blaze Bayley in Circa 1998 at Sheffield City Hall. It probably wasn't that bad but it just didn't feel the same as the times before that I saw them with Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith.

It was like I made myself go and see them when I was telling myself "It's not the same anymore"

:-S
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Placebo. Wasn't that keen anyway but all my mates were going. Utter shite. I could've seen the Darkness the same night about a month before they went massive. I definitely picked the wrong gig.

Oasis, Glastonbury 2004. I'd been looking forward to seeing them for years and it was a notoriously shit gig. First time out with Zakk Starkey and he started most of the early stuff too slow. Thankfully I caught them on a good night in Milton Keynes the next summer and they were blinding.

On the good side...

Chris Cornell. Playing in the rain in Hyde Park while we all waited for Aerosmith. Absolutely unquestionably the best singer I've heard live. He was the only time I've had my expectation of "yeah, ok, not bad" turned into "Holy shitballs when can I see them again?". 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

I guess my only "disappointment" was when I went to see Iron Maiden with Blaze Bayley in Circa 1998 at Sheffield City Hall. It probably wasn't that bad but it just didn't feel the same as the times before that I saw them with Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith.

It was like I made myself go and see them when I was telling myself "It's not the same anymore"

Go see them now, with Adrian and Bruce back in the fold, excellent.

Also, The Almighty, I saw them at Donington 1992, and prior to seeing them thought they were a bit shit, seeing them changed my mind.

Most disappointing was probably Therapy at the Junction in Cambridge, not bad, but too many guitar changes for the first 7 or 8 songs (Ie every song).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Better than expected:  The Who(1980's, first tour without Moonie), ZZ Top, Queen(1980's, Freddie in his prime), Rush, every time I've seen them

Disappointed:  The Cars(1980's, keyboard player couldn't get it together) and 5440 in the 90's, they played and sang competently and actually put on a good show but the sound was lousy.  All we could could hear was bass and drums pounding thoughout.  The highlight of the show was during the opening act "Grapes of Wrath"  when a fuse blew and the frontman and bassist grabbed a couple of acoustic guitars and did a couple of songs with no amplification.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
    Radiohead last year for my 30th in Manchester.  I was gutted.  Never going to an arena gig ever again. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Better than expected: Gogol Bordello, Terrorvision, Foo fighters (really), Hives, Ben Harper, Pearl Jam.

Worse than expected: RHCP, but only on the second occasion. First time they were amazing. Paul Weller but again, only on the second occasion. First time he was amazing.

The Damned, the last time I saw them (Dec 12). Having seen them 20 or so times since I was a teenager and enjoyed every gig, the last time they were shit. I was bitterly disappointed.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764
    Kinda with you there regarding arena gigs.Saw Oasis at Sheffield Arena in 97 I think it was.Didn't enjoy it as I felt to detached.(sat right near the back).Saw Lamb of God and Children of Bodom at Manchester arena stood right near the front and it was epic.Saw Bowling for Soup at Download in 2007,thought I would hate them but they were brilliant.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    Gary Moore. - Both - Playing the blues on a Strat - Brilliant. Soon as he switched to a Les Paul - Leaden boring, Yawn etc.

David Bowie, got given a ticket last minute, wasn't a fan before I went in, but after the gig I was. He had the whole arena in the palm of the hand for 2 hrs
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• WYNIR0 said:

David Bowie, got given a ticket last minute, wasn't a fan before I went in, but after the gig I was. He had the whole arena in the palm of the hand for 2 hrs
    I was a fan going in and it was better than expected.  Another one I just remembered was Los Lobos, I saw them twice in smaller venues early in their career, it was amazing!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• mike_l said:

Go see them now, with Adrian and Bruce back in the fold, excellent.

Also, The Almighty, I saw them at Donington 1992, and prior to seeing them thought they were a bit shit, seeing them changed my mind.

Most disappointing was probably Therapy at the Junction in Cambridge, not bad, but too many guitar changes for the first 7 or 8 songs (Ie every song).

I would certainly go and see Maiden again, Mike. I think their current tour just ended, but I think they might have 1 more Album/Tour in them. ;-)

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Echo and the Bunnymen - on the back of comeback album Evergreen, which I loved at the time. McCulloch couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

+1 to Placebo too. Dragged along by a mate despite my protestations that I'd seen them before and they were rubbish.....and yes, they were still rubbish.

On the other hand The Roots were an absolute revelation live, very impressed.

Motorhead, seen 'em twice, just too loud to hear any playing nuances. Same with In Flames.

Girlschool, saw 'em supporting Motorhead a few years ago, I was most impressed with their playing skills, stage prescence and songs. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• +1 on Motorhead. Seen them a few times and enjoyed it for the most part but it's hit and miss as to whether you get a night/venue where you can actually hear Phil Campbell on guitar

• Oh just thought of another:

Andy Cairns of Therapy?, solo acoustic show.
    He's not the world's most accomplished guitarist nor is he the most consistent of singers so I thought the stripped back approach would leave him woefully exposed. But....it was great, he was in fine voice and chatted lots between songs - he's a very witty chap, great raconteur.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Dissapointing: Jack Bruce. Was expecting a bass god, but the bass playing came across as meh. It was a pretty good gig otherwise though, with Ginger Baker and Gary Moore.

Surprisingly good - Cliff Richard doing all his number 1's about 20 years ago. The wife dragged me along - honest!
    +1 on Motorhead. Seen them a few times and enjoyed it for the most part but it's hit and miss as to whether you get a night/venue where you can actually hear Phil Campbell on guitar

Both Cambridge and Birmingham, they were too loud.

Cambridge, I was right at the back and it was booming, much louder than the jets over the road from work. Same as Birmingham, where they were supporting Alice Cooper, again, I was quite far back, and they were deafeningly loud.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    The Damned were memorably awful, just a big dull noise for 90 minutes. UB40 were painfully dull and the drummer kept cocking stuff up.

Tom Jones was great.

Deep Purple were okay but Blackmore was rubbish. Off to see them with Morse next week. If he can remember most of the songs he will be one up on Ritchie.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Better than expected - Runrig at Balloch Park, 1991. Truly brilliant, regardless of what you might think of their music normally. You probably had to be there to understand why.

Worse than expected - Queens Of The Stone Age at the Glasgow Academy. A mushy mess, which doesn't work for music that relies on relentless precision.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited October 2013
    Slade

MOR 1981    - fantastic, completely rocked the place. 

B.O.C  - same gig,  fucking awful
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Better than expected
    Shawaddywaddy
    Sweet
    Yes
    Duran Duran
    Thomson twins
    Dio
    Super furry animals

Worse
    Metallica
    Rush
    Tears for fears
    Pulp

• historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 498
    edited October 2013
    Probably biggest disappointment wasn't even a bad show. Neil Young at the SECC sometime mid 90's. In fact, I think he did a really good show & it lasted a fair while; Kula Shaker were pretty good suport too. Where I had to sit, & I mean sit or else, was much too far away, I hardly remember anything about it, it was so dismal. I'd been working my arse off away from home & looking forward to it enormously. The SECC also gouge you for parking, which isn't mentioned when you buy the tickets.

Also disappointing was Lou Reed- in a bad mood & rushing some of the songs.

Stunningly good, but unknown or unexpected-
    Doll By Doll early 80's sometime, supporting Hawkwind who were very poor, hearts not in it, though normally great. Despite getting an absolutely shit reception Doll By Doll really did their best & I'd never heard anything like them, really intense.

The Black Diamond Heavies, then still with their guitarist, Supporting The Immortal Lee County Killers, never heard of them before- nothing to touch them for a long time after.

The reformed Green On Red, London Astoria about 2006- just wow. I was worried I'd find it embarrassing & all back slapping reunion stuff, not in the least, a proper show & they were totally on it. Was not happy to find I missed them in Glasgow a couple of years later.

The SECC also gouge you for parking, which isn't mentioned when you buy the tickets.

It's much easier to park in the Minerva St area and walk across the footbridge :). Not only free but you get home while everyone else is still queuing to get out of the SECC car park...

I would definitely have been disappointed if I'd had to listen to Kula Shaker though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    bertie said:
    Slade

MOR 1981    - fantastic, completely rocked the place. 

B.O.C  - same gig,  fucking awful

Yep I was there too Slade who were replacing a band who dropped out IIRC well, slayed.

As you say B.O.C not so much, especially getting grief from the nutter bikers at the front.

AC/DC were great and it was very near the start of the Back in Black tour.
  • ZZtop this summer were amazing... I was expecting a "going through the motions" job but holy feck, they rocked the shop.

Wolfsbane supporting Maiden in '90. Drop dead brilliant. I could not believe three instruments and a voice (what a voice) could rock so hard. Amazing talent.

Brad Paisley playing to about 300 people in a small country town in Ireland - he was playing Wembley later that week also.... Amzing gig - they couldn't believe how few came out... They play a few numbers and then hes says "Reckon country musics not too popular round here" whilst laughin.. The band played out of their skin and had a brilliant night. You could see the fun they were having.

The Hellecasters in a nightclub in cork... I still cant believe it nearly 20 years later...

On the crap side

Went to see Satriani 2 nights in a row in the same venue. Whilst the gig was great the 1st night, same set list and banter the second night kinda bummed me out..

Great gig but embarrasing was when I brought all my non muso mates to a Vai gig back in the day.... He came out with the xmas lights all flashing on and off all over him etc.... Think I still have some bruises from that night ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 498
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:
    The SECC also gouge you for parking, which isn't mentioned when you buy the tickets.

It's much easier to park in the Minerva St area and walk across the footbridge :). Not only free but you get home while everyone else is still queuing to get out of the SECC car park...

I would definitely have been disappointed if I'd had to listen to Kula Shaker though.

Ahh, thanks for the advice. You never know, I may go back- though I can't see it & most of the people I like would never fill it.
    The getting home bit is the best, I remember missing the M8 turn off & accidentally driving down a street with bus & taxi only resrictions at that time (Argyle St?) fortunately it was OK, probably the best thing about the night.

Ha, I actually quite liked some of Kula Shaker, though I never bought any records.
    The getting home bit is the best, I remember missing the M8 turn off & accidentally driving down a street with bus & taxi only resrictions at that time (Argyle St?) fortunately it was OK, probably the best thing about the night.
    Ha, yes that part of Glasgow is a total nightmare to drive in if you don't know it! And sometimes even when you do...