Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Your number one jazz song recommendation...? - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Your number one jazz song recommendation...?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1669
    Jalapeno said:
    Latin stuff is good, doesn't let you get lazy as it flips between maj/min 251 and chromatic walkdowns and what have you.

The Girl From Ipanema - is a good one - you can't bluff it with blues licks, you have to play the changes.

I love Charlie Christian - it's a shame some of the recordings are so shonky.
    Re Charlie Christian, just thought I'd use your mention of him as an excuse to post this, I just love it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Megii said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Latin stuff is good, doesn't let you get lazy as it flips between maj/min 251 and chromatic walkdowns and what have you.

The Girl From Ipanema - is a good one - you can't bluff it with blues licks, you have to play the changes.

I love Charlie Christian - it's a shame some of the recordings are so shonky.
    Re Charlie Christian, just thought I'd use your mention of him as an excuse to post this, I just love it.

I love the way he sits on the harmonic minor for the most part playing some simple little licks, and then lets rip when it shifts to the 7th chord part.  The bit from 2:37 to 2:46 is stupendous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    edited February 2015
    Those are the recordings I meant, wish they were better.

(2:00-2:05 is a great riff too - dipping into diminished (?) and back out)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1669
    edited February 2015
    Jalapeno said:
    Those are the recordings I meant, wish they were better.

(2:00-2:05 is a great riff too - dipping into diminished (?) and back out)
    As I understand it, it was just down to an enthusiast with an early reel to reel tape recorder, so I guess we have to thankful he was there to make the recording at all - although I do know what you mean. I really wish there was more of this sort of informal jam playing of CC preserved as well.

To be honest, I've never got round to analyzing what CC was playing - it's just the wonderful sound of the whole thing that grabs me really - the great timing, and sense of drama about it all. And as @knuckleberryfinn says, he goes off on an adventure every time the middle 8 comes around, and there's a kind of tension that builds as we wait for those moments - a kind of tension and release I suppose.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    I get bored with the usual Major and Minor functional Jazz harmony.

So, here's a Kenny Wheeler classic (RIP 18 September 2014).

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1583
    I think that the two most important jazz albums for me were "kind of blue" and "love supreme". I think it's all there at that point. Classic licks, great feel and timing abiet it's not guitar based but it's esential listening in my view. 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 763
    I like Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Mulligan & Baker.

But for guitar my favourite by a long way is Kenny Burrell.

So - Midnight Blue.