Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Post your stuff here - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Post your stuff here

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    edited September 2013
    Hello folks, I just uploaded a new thing onto Soundcloud and I'd appreciate it if you'd check it out :)

It's just a little rough demo, not much of a structure to it yet and there's only a couple of ideas there, but I wanted to get it recorded before I forgot it... when I was listening back, I liked the recording I did so put it up on SC.

It started when I was messing about with some chords, C#min7 and Emaj7, and came up with a fingering for the Emaj7 which I'd never thought of before. When I started alternating between the two chords I came up with some stuff I liked the sound of, then I kicked in my fuzz and improvised a Smashing Pumpkins-inspired riff. Just wanted to get it out there - I think I'm gonna pitch it to my band and see if they like it, because this is close enough to the sort of thing we usually write.

Recorded with Reason 6, all guitar parts are my Squier Jazzmaster and bass parts are my Vintage V804B.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That is totally sweet dude, not what I was expecting from you at all. If the band don't want to do it they'd be mad!!!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That is totally sweet dude, not what I was expecting from you at all. If the band don't want to do it they'd be mad!!!
    Thanks! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Hi again everyone,

I've just uploaded a longer version of yesterday's little idea, had a go at making a full song out of it. Again, I'd appreciate it if you could have a listen and maybe tell me what you think. I quite like what I've done with it, but I wonder if it could be better.

There's a bit of lead guitar throughout, which is there in lieu of vocals. It's all within a fairly small range and is basically my idea of what vocal melodies could sound like in this song (or at least, roughly which notes should be used - not sure about the phrasing).

Tell me what you think! :)
  • Trying to keep up with the master...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    edited October 2013

a track from our album.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4790
    edited October 2013
    Me newest thingy. For a Halloween challenge over on Soundclick.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12548996
  • Amy Winehouse anybody?

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    edited November 2013
    I just set up a compilation of my original guitar solos from my solo guitar days (1995 - 2005, as "Jim Graham", my real name) that should be up on iTunes in a few weeks.  Here's "Train of Thought", one of the flamenco influenced songs.  If anyone with some fingerstyle hankering is interested I think I could dig up the score in tab and notation somewhere.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    bigjon said:
    My youtube channel is bigjon1684, it's got some forumites' solos from a recent Cambridge Blues Jam on it, as well as my own stuff played by my scratch 3-piece no-rehearsal-ever band, Hot Ammo Cold Shot:-

and a jolly good channel it is too. I haven't done anything for ages so I'm going to just post this again :) just hark at those evolution pickups and keeley tubescreamer and compare to Simon's sound muahahaha -
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752

This is one of my bands playing a  Van Halen cover in our local pub, we play this place every month so am allowed a lot of lights and stuff :

And attempting the Eugenes trick bag thing from the Crossroads film in my garage studio :

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited November 2013
    Bravo : )))))))))
  • MickMick Frets: 98

Bravo indeed.  Loved those vids so much I had to go watch the rest of them on youtube. ;)

Ah thanks guys :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Danny1969 said:

This is one of my bands playing a  Van Halen cover in our local pub, we play this place every month so am allowed a lot of lights and stuff

And attempting the Eugenes trick bag thing from the Crossroads film in my garage studio :

Awesome!  Eruption strikes me as perhaps being the only piece of that nature which might be known outside of non-guitarist circles... people have heard it even if they don't know what it is.  And playing it live looks a lot of fun and you've given me something to aim for.  And Eugene's Trick Bag was what I started to learn when I first picked up guitar after a 20 year hiatus.  Talk about biting off far, far more than I could chew.  However, seeing you play that reminded me of all the hours I put in (not really knowing what I was doing) and how difficult that piece is.  lol'd at closing comments ;)
  • It's Coconut Blues Club Challenge spam time once again ;)

This time around was Ancient Egypt. A slightly blown-up mixing desk hampered my progress a tad so I only had a few hours to get it all done in the end. So the planned orchestral epic ended up a bit damp squib, but hey-ho, here it is anyway.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12606024

And to listen to the other, very fantastic, much better than mine tunes from the night, here's the station - http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Coconut Blues&amp;content=station&amp;ID=1049625
  • Danny1969 said:

This is one of my bands playing a  Van Halen cover in our local pub, we play this place every month so am allowed a lot of lights and stuff :

Excellent live piece there, nailed it!

How many takes d'you reckon Vai did for the clean Eugene bits for Crossroads? I'm guessing more than 1, and having a string quartet finish your runs obviously helps ;)
    Danny1969 said:

Excellent live piece there, nailed it!

How many takes d'you reckon Vai did for the clean Eugene bits for Crossroads? I'm guessing more than 1, and having a string quartet finish your runs obviously helps ;)
    I reckon he played it on a guitar tuned down a semi and then they speeded up the audio, because it was more like Bm than Am when I used to play along when the film came out. There's loads of versions on youtube at a million notes a second but generally with loads of gain which makes it a lot easier. 

Loved the Egypt thing, when I first loaded it I thought it said Basket Case :) and was expecting something else. Lovely tone, very atmospheric and moody 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    I reckon he played it on a guitar tuned down a semi and then they speeded up the audio, because it was more like Bm than Am when I used to play along when the film came out. There's loads of versions on youtube at a million notes a second but generally with loads of gain which makes it a lot easier. 

Loved the Egypt thing, when I first loaded it I thought it said Basket Case :) and was expecting something else. Lovely tone, very atmospheric and moody 
    Most likely, but then look at what they did with Ralph's fingers! With a little help from Arlen Roth, so artistic licence was clearly applied ;)

And TY, my cat suggested the title, and who am I to deny a god? (at least in his mind. They say that the Egyptians revered cats as gods, it's only us who have forgotten! lol)
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    edited January 2014
    here's one finally  - really old tune I had which I've just finished re-recording. Still not happy with the mix (signing up to do a course on Logic soon though  - I am crap at it !!).

• RaveRave Frets: 268
    edited January 2014
    Testing out my Strat. Excuse the bum notes, I'm getting good at them! :D

Wotcha @vibetronic! That was ace.
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    viz said:
    Wotcha @vibetronic! That was ace.
    +1!
    Rave I didn't see yours it was ace too! Lovely warm sound.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    cheers both :) Dave, great playing as always !
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 698
    edited January 2014
    Well, it is with much hesitation that I dare post my very poor atempts at playing guitar after checking all of you guys. Some very talented people in here.

Anyway, I just uploaded some covers to soundcloud and I'd really appreciate some feedback from you people.

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • kaisoskaisos Frets: 26

Envy never dies. A greek post punk alternative band.
    My band!

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Some cool stuff here, guys. :)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649

a song from 2001
  • Here's my band's most recent offering - we recorded a gig at the end of 2013, and had it mixed/produced recently. Pretty chuffed with it:

https://burnthemapsuk.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-the-phoenix

Hopefully you guys like :)

If anyone wants to know anything geeky about the guitars/pedals/amps I/we used, just let me know :)