Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Holiday suggestions - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Holiday suggestions

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
Hey guys,

Wife wants to go away for 4 nights in a week or two. She wants to relax on a beach for some of it, and I'm about as anti-beach as you can get. I don't want to spend all that much money (eating into my GAS fund damnit!!). Less than £350 would be grand! Would consider UK or Europe for a reasonable price.

Any thoughts on where to go? I'm easy to be honest, as long as there is beer.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Dungeness ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    I'm not afraid to facepalm.
    =))

Actually would be a cool place to do some band photos... but a holiday?
    :|
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Menorca.
    It doesn't get the same degree of Ibiza style madness but has the same climate.
    You can get out and do stuff there too- we hired a car and went exploring.
    It won't be £350- more like £500-600.

I don't know many places you can go for £350 these days for 2 people- maybe Hull. ;)

Go now before we go to war with Spain.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'd rather go Rome or Venice or somewhere like that to be honest. Not all that beachy though! You can get package deals on lastminute.com for less than £500. Just keeping options open, but it's drawing near!
    I didn't consider any European capital cities as they will be pretty empty in August, especially Rome.

What about Barcelona?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Iceland is awesome, and has beaches. Does that count?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Or Crete?
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Skeggy.
    Scunthorpe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^ Wisdom.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2013
    The west of Ireland. Stay in Galway.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    Abandon the beach idea, there are some UK hotels with nice saunas and gyms and pamper rooms which will do cracking last minuet deals and you get all that thrown in. So she gets to lay about and be pampered and you get to visit local music emporiums with the residue of the gas fund bulging from your 501s.

Last minuet sounds kinda romantic.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Where does she want to go ?
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

My friends and myself usually go to Cornwall.

Always nice. You should be able to find somethinmg in your price range.

My sister like going to Devon, again you shouldbe able to find something in your price range

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    I'd go with Barcelona too. Went there a couple of years ago and it was stunning. There are beaches for your missus and loads of bars/culture for you!
    Emp_Fab said:
    She doesn't know.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130

Oddly enough, I used to be in exactly the same position, except it was my missus that didn’t want the beach holidays, so I sympathise. It did mean I had to put up with no lounging around on beaches for many years, which pissed me off a bit. So we started going to the Dordogne in France, using the Gites, and had some superb holidays there. Peaceful, good weather, and there are usually some man-made lakes around for lounging around on.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Try Normandy. Easy to get to (short crossing from Portsmouth), cheap and there are beaches in the west near Mont St. Michel. Plenty else to do if you like history (old and recent), good food, peace and quiet, and beer :). Although don't overlook the local cider, it's fantastic and nothing like the pub crap you get here. Calvados is excellent too... at least I think it was after I woke up ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Drew_fx said:
    I'd rather go Rome or Venice or somewhere like that to be honest. Not all that beachy though! You can get package deals on lastminute.com for less than £500. Just keeping options open, but it's drawing near!
    Rome eh?

Go here: http://www.camping.it/english/lazio/romacamping/

Bare with me - it's a "camping" place, but not like you'd imagine. You book your own "porta-chalet" which is air conditioned and en-suite. The facilities are great (decent on site restaurant for pizza etc and a pool for relaxing)....

And it's a short bus and underground ride from the centre of Rome (about 15 mins)...

It's popular with back packers, but we've sent loads of people there (couples) who have all had a great time. It's very cheap, very clean and a great, inexpensive way to go to Rome. Plus the history in Rome is the shizz. So much awesome stuff to see.

Or Barca if you can afford it. Awesome City.

Don't bother with Venice. It's ok, but very over priced and average. Florence is much nicer.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    Yea I'd agree with Jons suggestion. Did Normandy last summer. Pretty towns like Caen. The little port of Honfleur is a delight and then right across the invasion beaches (nice and flat for cycling).
    Bayeux, St Mere Eglise, Carentan. The local market days are fabulous. Caen is ancient and modern all at the same time. The beach and museum at Arramaches will be enough for both of you for a day out.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    edited August 2013
    stickyfiddle said: Iceland is awesome, and has beaches. Does that count?

Unbelievably expensive but so worth it. Coolest place I've ever been (temperature
    and scenery-wise). Probably not a practical suggestion in this instance but seriously, anyone reading this - if you ever get a chance to go, you MUST do it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Venice is awesome if you go out of season and know where to eat. The locals avoid the posh restaurants around St Mark's for good reason, and get great food for cheap as a result. There's a tiny little place on Sant'Erasmo that does the best fish I've ever had.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • How about Paris? All the Parisians leave in August so it's fairly quiet.

Plenty to do and you can leave Mrs Mentum on the beach
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Drew_fx said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    She doesn't know.
    Mystery tour ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Been speaking to her just; she wants to go to Barcelona it looks like!!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    A fine choice!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2013
    Good choice. I'd like to go too... it's on the list of possibles for next year.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I haven't been in years, think I might try to squeeze in a few days there this autumn. Lovely city.