Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitarists Who Are Better Than Most Would Think? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitarists Who Are Better Than Most Would Think?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    bertie;50623" said:
    Mr Dunnery,  but everyone knows that anyway

For sure he has been criminally underrated for years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jeff Lynne, known more for production and songwriting but a fine player indeed, even if it does tend to be buried under layers of production.
    Paul McCartney, played a good amount of guitar throughout his career despite being known as a bassist.
    Ronnie Lane (of the Faces), much the same as McCartney, good guitar player as well as a bass player.
    Peter Frampton, great player, known most for Frampton Comes Alive but I was amazed at how good when I saw him live a few years back

Glad to see a a few others mentioned like Steve Marriot and Rossi & Parfitt
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @StageStruck

Jeff Lynne has always been a bit of an unknown quantity to me. I have heard lots of E.L.O tracks but never knew whether there was an additional Guitarist to Lynne in the Band through their main years.

I love the Guitar on "Shine a Little Love" and a few others obviously. I'll have to check out their Band Member Timeline.

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • As far as I know, apart from the short spell where Roy Wood was part of the band, Jeff Lynne was the only guitarist during the original era of ELO. Definitely far better than he's given credit for.
  • @StageStruck

Yes, he probably was the only one come to think and if so, he is a very decent player.

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    Rossi. Hugely underrated.
    Chris Rea.
    Michael Shenker
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    As far as I know, apart from the short spell where Roy Wood was part of the band, Jeff Lynne was the only guitarist during the original era of ELO. Definitely far better than he's given credit for.
    I'm not a big Jeff Lynne fan but he gave a very creditable performance with The Idle Race. I think he was the only guitarist with them. Check this out.

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    edited October 2013

@dogload

That's a rare gem. A real piece of Music History there. It sort of typifies the era doesn't it?

Edit: I couldn't see that particular song on their albums although it is listed as a Single.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    It's definitely one of those 'kitchen sink' productions (as in; 'everything but...'!), but is always cited as one of those 'classic' psych singles. Maybe it's with hindsight, but you can almost hear what would become ELO in The Idle Race.
  • dogload said:
    It's definitely one of those 'kitchen sink' productions (as in; 'everything but...'!), but is always cited as one of those 'classic' psych singles. Maybe it's with hindsight, but you can almost hear what would become ELO in The Idle Race.

@dogload

It maybe hindsight, but I was also trying to see if I could hear that too, it's like you want to hear it, but it's really difficult to be sure.

Although this song is earlier than what I'm about to say, what I can hear though is a similarity in style and sound to some of Brian May's early Queen Lead Licks/Fills on Queen I Album (1973). Maybe it's just me but I do think some of Brian's early Lead sounds are quite similar to this.