Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Blackstar HT-1 Possible Fault - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Blackstar HT-1 Possible Fault

gubblegubble Frets: 1681
Hello

My Blackstar HT-1 Head is causing me a couple of concerns.

The main one being when it's fairly cranked the volume fluctuates up and down a bit - think a volume panner type effect. Could this be one of the valves on the way out? 

The second - which I'm assuming isn't really a problem and more of a 'quirk' is when I'm using a particular drive pedal (in a Line 6 M13, Tube Driver sim) the amp seems to get really muddy and not make much sound as if it's stuggling to cope with the gain.

In respect of changing the tubes, I've used valve amps for nearly 20 years and have honestly never had to change a tube is this easy to do? especially on the HT-1 ?

Thank you in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    The worst part of changing vales on a One is getting the fekker apart!

All the "wood" type screws on the metal back plate and then the rear two M4 stainless jobbies in the handle. 
    Then comes some wrenching and prising. It WILL come out but it can be tricky to avoid marking the Tolex (or whatever it is!) because it tends to stick to the metal.

Valves are of course ECC83 pre and ECC82 output, the latter is cathode biased (unlike the HT-5) so a straight swop.....Butty but but! I doubt all your troubles are valves and I feel certain there are a couple of mods/improvements to the One so it would be better to get it to B's if you can. And IF you do, take all the other kit to demo the problem!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    ecc83 said:

ECC82 output, the latter is cathode biased (unlike the HT-5)
    Is this one of the only cases where a balanced dual triode valve might actually be useful? :)

Or does it run parallel single-ended? I'm sure you told me but I've forgotten.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

ECC82 output, the latter is cathode biased (unlike the HT-5)
    Is this one of the only cases where a balanced dual triode valve might actually be useful? :)

Or does it run parallel single-ended? I'm sure you told me but I've forgotten.
    Well "we" certainly don't pay extra for balanced bottles! Anyway, bit O second harmonic never hurt nobody?

Push pull of COURSE ICBM! You know B's designers are anal about hum.

Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Ha, silly me :).

I did think so! Just couldn't remember for sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson