Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). recommend me a good alround wah pedal - FX Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

recommend me a good alround wah pedal

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 182
I'm after a one wah does it all type of pedal and one that doesn't colour the sound when it's off.

i'ts going on my christmas list :)

ta

nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FezFez Frets: 472
    I have the CAE one on my wish list. It depends on what you mean by "does it all". The variations in wah pedals are largely subtle so I think it's more a case of finding your own personal way of using a Wah Wah pedal. My advice would be to go and try some.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CAE Wah. Brilliant. In built boost, two inductors, LEDs, true bypass.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    CAE Wah. Brilliant. In built boost, two inductors, LEDs, true bypass.
    What this man said. 

Inless you need auto on the CAE is the most versatile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Ibanez Weeping Demon gets my vote, it covers a lot of ground although it is a quite a big pedal. They do do a smaller version though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    CAE wah for sure.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    That's a good price, if I was after a wah I'd get one. I have a Budda Wah which is really good too.
  • 535q is excellent, too. But weeping demon or cae are all good!

The problem is a wah isn't a 'change settings' pedal. You set and forget... So I had a 535q but got sick of changing settings all the time! So I flogged it and got an envelope filter. Now I'm selling that because I want modulation...
  • A fuzz face. It isn't a wah but it is round.

Err, the weeping demon seems to be the most versatile. It is fugly, although whether that really matters...
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
     I liked the weeping demon I had very much and would happily buy another - sounds good with bass too :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I had a Weeping Demon, but sold it because it was huge and looked shit. 

It did sound very good so I'd consider a Demon Jr
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    They do a Weeping Demon Jr too which is a bit smaller as it doesn't have a manual switch. I kind of like the bigger version though, It's got a bit of character.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ernie Ball
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    weeping demon for versatility and modern tones. Best "metal" wah there is (imo). Fecking huge though.
    Crybaby or vox for "classic" wah tones.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• have the CAE one, and love it.  

Had the vox 847 and really didn't like it at all. don't know what it was. Prior to that had an old crybaby which I'd happily go back to as well.
  • +1 for CAE

• I'm using a Wilson 12 posn Vintage Wah and that's pretty damn good.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 648

I use a Vox 847 for clean and psychedelic type stuff, but it's not good with distortion for me, as opposed to the Crybaby that I never like clean.

Personally I'd quite like to try the Morley George Lynch, the idea of having a switchable cocked wah is attractive. 

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited September 2013

I've got a 535Q sat in a box doing nothing ... in case you were thinking 2nd hand.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• nickpnickp Frets: 182

I've got a 535Q sat in a box doing nothing ... in case you were thinking 2nd hand.

i never ever think of new!
  • then you will have pm soon

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7928
    edited September 2013
    If you can get it modded to true bypass the Dimebag Crybaby From Hell wah is fantastic, in design, tone, and tweakability.  It does look daft with the camo paint job but the skateboard grip is great and does grip better than rubber IME.

It has a 6 way range selector, variable Q, you can tweak the highest possible sweep frequency and there is a boost with a kickswitch.  The range, Q, high frequency and boost pots are all external.  It has LEDs for on/off and boost on/off and can be wired to go right -> left (traditional) or left -> left if you'd prefer.

It can do smooth blues and it can do huge sweep OTT metal style sounds, and pretty much everything I can think of in between.  If you want something to tweak they're worth a look, not true bypass by default though IIRC.  I wouldn't recommend them to someone who just wants a wah sound, a normal crybaby would be a better bet because the default setting is already pretty good.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Not cheap but the Fulltone Clyde is good.  Mine's been bombproof - unlike my brother-in-law's Crybaby.
  • Weeping Demon or Vox Big Bad Wah.

Both great
  • BYOC or Madbean Weener wah. Both brilliant with a good inductor if you fancy some soldering.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    Thanks y'all.  I was watching a big bad wah and a couple of the others but have succumbed to a cheap 535Q crybaby which might leave some money to go towards a monster delay unit that I'm gassing for.
  • Another CAE user here. I also have a standard crybaby and a budda which individually sound better at their respective strengths (CB for car chase funky stuff and Budda for snarling rock) but for a gig I would go for the CAE. Kick the switch and you can cover both those ranges mid song!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    I've got the CAE and it's nice and versatile.

The only two concerns I have are that 1) under your foot it doesn't seem to feel that natural, if that makes sense. The sweep doesn't feel as natural as even a bog standard crybaby, to my ears and fingers and 2) it really helps to tweak the internal controls, as if mine was anything to go by, the internal controls are set to help the thing sell in the shop. And being internal, it's a pain going back and forth trying to tweak the thing. You end up settling for "that's close enough" rather than perfection, as you can't tweak really while listening to the thing.
  • I use the Weeping Demon Jr - I never really used the switched version, and if I need a cocked-wah sound then it's not to onerous a job to keep my foot on it for a bit. The boost's bloody useful, too.

It's also got a decent buffer in it, which means you can use it as the first pedal on your board with no ill effects; I vastly prefer having my wah on the far right, and I detest having to run cables around all over the place for a signal chain which doesn't fit the physical positioning of the pedals.
    <space for hire>
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Dan-o-wah, none of the others look like Cadillacs.

Actually they sound great too, switchable between a couple of wah presets, plus a fantastic built-in octave/fuzz.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    My 18month long Wah Odyssey came to an end with the acquisition of my Gig FX Frampton Mega Wah.
    That said my EB wah comes in a close second