Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 20 week scan. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

20 week scan.

What's Hot
birdobirdo Frets: 24
Mrs Birdo and I are expecting our first child sometime i December. We ve to the 2nd scan today. I ve just read the list of all the things their checking for. That's enough to scare you to death. I m already nervous any way.just thought I d share.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Hope all goes well. We've got two kids (2 and almost 5). I still remember the scans for each of them really well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Congrats, birdo. :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    That was me about a year ago. 

It's really scary, but it's also one of the most wonderful things and one of the moments when it all becomes very real and immediate. Though there are many horrible things on the list they are all very unlikely.

Enjoy it, being a dad is ace. 
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Just got back from the scan and all is fine. Just got 4 1/2 months to get ready now .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Great news!
  • Congratulations birdo, and glad you can relax a bit after the scan. Parenthood is brilliant.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    The best advice I got as an expectant farther.

"The first 20 years are the worst".

Mine are now 19 and 15 so I'm hoping. But seriously although your life will change in ways you cannot imagine it will be wonderful and marvelous and stuff will fall into perspective. You will both have the most amazing time.

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1525
    edited August 2013

ESBlonde said:
    The best advice I got as an expectant farther.

"The first 20 years are the worst".
    Someone told me that too.

Mine are 24, 21 and 20 and no sign of anything changing apart from the fact that the scrapes they get into are ever more expensive to resolve   :)
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    That's good to know . 20 yrs plus 20% maybe then things are all fine.dont know why I m worried :-O
  • That was me about a year ago. 

It's really scary, but it's also one of the most wonderful things and one of the moments when it all becomes very real and immediate. Though there are many horrible things on the list they are all very unlikely.

This.

Good luck and enjoy!

Oh and get as much sleep as you possibly can between now and December.

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    Mrs Preston and I are expecting our first in January, so a couple of weeks behind you mate. I'm getting as much guitaring done as I can as who nows how much I'll get once the bambino arrives.

Congratulations mate, exciting times
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    preston61 said:
    Mrs Preston and I are expecting our first in January, so a couple of weeks behind you mate. I'm getting as much guitaring done as I can as who nows how much I'll get once the bambino arrives.

Congratulations mate, exciting times
    That's a good plan. Your guitar playing will without doubt take a massive hit. However by way of compensation, your guitar buying will improve dramatically.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This was me about a year ago too. Now, as I type this on my phone, a very cute and inquisitive teething 7 month old is climbing over me trying desperately to fend off sleep and making sure I don't get much either. It's tough at times but as everyone tells you, it is awesome. Despite all the unavoidable worry, the upsides really do outweigh the difficult bits. As for the guitar playing, well mine has taken a hit. Free time isn't what it used to be. That said, in the past week I've learned four new songs: Wind The Bobbin Up, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row Row Row your Noat and We're Going on a Bear Hunt. So far the baby isn't impressed with my attempts at Hendrix style embellishments, but I'll give him time...
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Many congrats. As everyone has said above. You will find your life changing , and your priorities will change too. My daughters are now 24, 20 , 16 . They are totally different.
    I say enjoy every moment of those early years, they pass so quickly
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    is 20 weeks the one where you find out sex... its only been two years  since I was at that point and I can't remember

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I loved the scanning bit. Didn't love the emergency scan 2 weeks before due date as they were scared he was breach. Turned out it was just that he was massive and they couldn't figure out what was arm and what was leg! 8 years on and he just won his first award for football.
    Take it all in and enjoy. Best thing a human can do is make new life.
    20 weeks is the one where you can find out the sex although we didn't. It was amazing and the detail really surprised me. All the other pics I ve seen have always looked a it blurry but our one seemed really clear, or is that the proud parent talking already
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Congrats! Scans seem a long time ago now, my girls are 8 and 12, and my boys are 14 and 17. Lots of fun having kids, and hard work as well, physically and emotionally. All worth it of course!

The early years are great fun! Such an adventure.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I loved the scanning bit. Didn't love the emergency scan 2 weeks before due date as they were scared he was breach. Turned out it was just that he was massive and they couldn't figure out what was arm and what was leg

we were fully engaged and ready to go after a nice easy pregnancy.   Then 20 hours  and 5 midwifes later they realised it was an undiagnosed breach and things got very mad for an hour or so. 

5 midwifes with about 70 years combined experience could not tell the difference between my daughters arse and head .   Not sure if i will ever let her foget that

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My wife is due our second today ;)
    Best thing ever.. 
    Love being a dad =)
    COngratulations and best of luck - dont be nervous - it'll all fall into place (literally)
    Aidan
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • My daughter was born today just to let ya know!
    Cool trip folks,  now have a gentlemans family...

Just have to teach her the drums then im sorted......
    You're gonna love it Birdo !
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    That was me about a year ago. 

This.

Good luck and enjoy!

Oh and get as much sleep as you possibly can between now and December.

Yes, this! Trey to bank all your sleep now ready for later, like a squirrel. Store it anywhere you can find, boy you're gonna need it. And try to learn how to sleep quickly. This is the most useful skill - if you can cram 6 hours sleep into about 2 hours, you'll be fine! Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!! buy a couple of guitars now, it's going to be difficult later.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    My daughter was born today just to let ya know!

Good work fella, and to the OP too. Oh and the wives too I guess. I hope you had a go on the gas&air? I know I did. Its groovy stuff.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader

Congrats. 
    Babies are ace!

Congratulations!