Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Favourite Toobs - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Favourite Toobs

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
What is the general consensus on valves? 

I've only used Mesa and JJ in recent years but wondered what the forum's thoughts were on best quality etc..  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Someone fetch the tin opener, we have a can of worms here... :p

Frankly, and I'm sorry, I can't help. I just use whatever I can :) mostly jjs for power el84s, whatever is on offer cheapest for 12ax7 and el34s were... Umm... Groove tubes? Can't remember, it's since been sold on :(

Valves, from what I understand, are down to personal preference, but as a rule of thumb, the older ones are supposed to be more rugged and last longer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
    Ha ha, a love a good portion of Kwik Save Worms. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TAD's FTW for me.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    just put some Tungs  in V1 to V3............like em.  Got some lovely winged Cs in the power section
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I like old ones :).

Of the new ones I like Tung-Sols and EH for tone but not reliability, JJ power valves for reliability but not tone, don't like JJ preamps or any Sovteks at all really, Winged C are now out of production, and TADs (which are Chinese) seem pretty decent all round.

Mesa use many different factories/brands - including JJ now - they are not a 'make'.

Don't be suckered into paying more for "Cryo" treated ones or "balanced" phase inverters. If you want to pay more, buy old-production valves instead, they're just better anyway.

In my opinion...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Having pfaffed with alternative V1 on Blues Juniors -  avoid a 12AY - very prone to interference

Yet to give a 5577 a good thrashing
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2148
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    ..... and TADs (which are Chinese) seem pretty decent all round.

Mesa use many different factories/brands - including JJ now - they are not a 'make'.

I'm pretty sure TAD us various manufacturers to supply their valves, including JJ.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    TAD's are relabeled tubes from China, Russia, and Slovakia. .... that'll be all the places that make tubes on the planet then.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited September 2013
    martinw said:
    I'm pretty sure TAD us various manufacturers to supply their valves, including JJ.
    Quite likely! The ones I've had so far (12AX7s and 6L6s) seem to have been Chinese though, so I was just going by that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    I recently re-valved my AC15 with Sovtek EL84s and JJ ECC83s's (12AX7) - it sounds nicer than with the stock ones.

The last AC15 I had, I put Peavey-branded EL84s in, along with EHX 12AX7s, and liked the sound of that too.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Have recently put some original Mullard 12AX7s into my Blackstar and they've made the world of difference. 
    I can't really comment on their reliability as I've not gig tested them but tonally they are superior to the stock TADs.