Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). RotM #6 - Chat - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

RotM #6 - Chat

What's Hot
Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1165
edited January 2015 in Making Music
Here's the 6th Riff of the Month (RotM) Challenge, being run by @Antique_Guitars and @TTony.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 24th January.

All you have to do is ...
  • Write a guitar riff.  You can include whatever else you want in the mix, but the main focus must be on the riff.
  • Keep it to a maximum of 50 seconds.  This is about riffs, not songs.
  • Challenge opens on the 1st of every month, and closes on the 24th of the month.
  • Voting opens on the 25th of the month, and closes on the last day of the month, when the winner will be announced.
Let us know if you would like your entry to be anonymous.

Send your tracks to riffs@theFB.co.uk

The tracks will be uploaded to our SoundCloud account and saved in a playlist that will be linked below

PLEASE GIVE CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK ON PEOPLES RIFFS AND RECORDING TECHNIQUES IF YOU HAVE TIME
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• well and truly spammed my dears
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Gonna have to get recording soon I think....
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    well and truly spammed my dears
    Possibly over-spammed just a bit.  I've deleted some of the posts.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What is this "RotM#6", then? I've been hearing a lot about it.
    ;)
  • Entry sent.

I've gone a bit 'Jazz Club' this time.

Nice!

:bz
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 607
    Are bass riffs allowed?
  • Jeremiah said:
    Are bass riffs allowed?
    Absolutely!
    :)
  • A great start everyone, three entries already! If your entry has not been uploaded yet don't fear it shall be later today.

Thanks everyone!
    Old Is Gold
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    edited January 2015
    Entry submitted...

Presonus S1 with stock plug ins.

trk 1 - Taylor 414CE - chords
    trk 2 - melody riff
    trk 3 - harmony riff
    trk 4 -  Italia Bass

job done.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • You have some incoming metal! I went for less of a song approach this time as I think it might be rubbibg people up the wrong way including a couple of variations for context.
  • simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 214
    edited January 2015
    Entry submitted. Recorded on iPad, no bass, just guitar and programmed drums, go easy on me!
  • Awesome great stuff everyone!
    Old Is Gold
  • Ahh as for the gory details this is recorded on an old epiphone les paul, which actually made things more difficult because this one is a little bit of a finger twister at this pace and im not as familiar with the neck on that guitar.

The tones are a mixture of amplitube 3 and lePou's leXTAC.

Bass is D'Armond Jet straight into amplitube using the SVT models.

Drums are programmed from BFD2
    And we've got our first nonny-mouse entry too ... This is getting popular now!
  • It's all about spamming!
    Old Is Gold
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1239
    edited January 2015
    I'm sorry @steamabacus - we can only accept original compositions as entries into the challenge.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • All uploaded bar one I am waiting for clarification on.

If anyone wants my feedback on their riff let me know, I can pm or post on here.

Just want to say a massive thanks to everyone who has entered so far, it has been really great to see so many submissions this early on.
    Old Is Gold
  • Ooh someone entered some djent. That's a bit left field for on here.
    @steamabacus...great sound you have there, whats your setup?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 

• spark240 said:
    @steamabacus...great sound you have there, whats your setup?
    I did this all 'live' on my looper (Digitech JamMan SoloXT) and recorded onto minidisc - I find it so much easier to be creative when I don't have to switch on the computer.

The drum loop comes from an american drummer I know via SoundCloud called Steve Mauro. He often posts free improv drum recordings and is always open to collaborations, so I extracted a couple of bars from one of his pieces as the basis for this (I actually recorded this a couple of months ago). By the way, Steve often posts as 'Steve the Mad Drummer', my name is Steve too so the track title is a bit of a play on all that.

As far as the guitar goes, it's my Ibanez AGS-83B semi (on the left in the photo here) and I record everything direct.

As you can see, I'm lucky enough to have a permanently set up 'studio' (also my 'office', 'workshop', 'reception room', ...etc.) and I can throw a couple of switches and be playing (and recording) in literally seconds. Nothing is particularly state-of-the-art (my studio computer runs Windows XP) or high-end but I'm very familiar with stuff I've slowly built up over the years.

The actual guitar set up is pretty complex as I've built up a stereo setup with whatever equipment I've got - keeping it simple I have a 'preamp board' with my drives, etc that goes into a Blackstar HT-5 and then the fx send of the HT-5 goes into a second 'delay board' with my delays, looper etc. That is then split in stereo. At the time of this recording, the left channel went back into the Blackstar's fx return and then out if its speaker emulated output. The right channel goes through an Award-Session JD-10 preamp (with speaker sim) and a MicroFX compressor. I have reverb on the desk aux send from a Lexicon MPX200.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Looks great !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • what's that on the wall behind? a throw or something? Looks awesome, quite psychadelic.
  • I think it's called a 'psychedelic bit of cloth'. ;)

I got it from Greenwich market years ago.
  • does it contribute to your sound? Do you actually record dry and all the delays and stuff come from the cloth? :D
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1470
    Entry sent...
  • samzadgan said:
    Entry sent...
    Word up worlds coolest dad, will upload soon!
    Old Is Gold
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1470
    Antique_Guitars;465054" said:
    samzadgan said:

Entry sent...

Word up worlds coolest dad, will upload soon!
    Keeping the illusion alive!

• 8 entries so far awesome
    Old Is Gold
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    Sam, that tone is fucking phat mate. Marshall and pedals?