Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Blues Junior noise problem - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Blues Junior noise problem

What's Hot
danodano Frets: 1484
I turned my amp on on Wednesday evening and after about ten minutes it started making this loud crackling noise, I did the obvious of checking connections, off / on but even without anything plugged in it still does it.

Turned it on last night and it was fine, then did thsi again. Turned it off, came back an hour later and was fine.

So a bit of a mystery. Any help really appreciated.

I recorded a short video of the problem

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited September 2013
    Sounds like a power valve.

If it does it again, have a quick look round the back - you may see one of them visibly flickering or flashes inside. If you can't, carefully pull one out (with a cloth or something else so you don't burn your hand!) and see if it stops.

NB, although this is safe to do with a Blues (or Pro) Junior, don't try it with most EL84 amps - the BJ/PJ are unusual in being fixed-biased, so it's safe to pull one valve. In a cathode-biased amp you can blow the other valve(s) if you pull one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    I shall try that this evening then and report back.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter