Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Well-known INSTRUMENTALS with ONE chord-progression for jams etc. - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Well-known INSTRUMENTALS with ONE chord-progression for jams etc.

What's Hot
bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
edited August 2013 in Live
Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer - ||Dm . . . |. . . . |Bb . C . |Dm . . . ||
Chameleon by Herbie Hancock - ||Bb . . . |Eb . . . ||
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    Maggot Brain?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Green Onions  

Not sure about the original but we played F, Ab, Bb

Helps if you have a keyboard player of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    The Chicken by Jaco Pastorius / James Brown - Bb7 x 8 | Eb7 x 2 | D7 x 1 | G7 x 1 | C7 x 4 |
    Green Onions - 12 Bar in F
    Chameleon by Herbie Hancock - Ab

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    The Chicken by Jaco Pastorius / James Brown - Bb7 x 4 | Eb7 x 2 | D7 x 1 | G7 x 2 | C7 x 4 |

It's G7 x 1, the last of the C7 x 4 bars is really a F11, and there's an extra Bb7 x4 at the end as well as at the beginning. Also, it's a bit long to teach the other players at a jam in the 30 seconds you have available before the audience gets bored.

Chameleon by Herbie Hancock - Ab

Already added but it's in Bb I think, and toggles to the IV chord (an Eb) every other bar
    Green Onions  

Not sure about the original but we played F, Ab, Bb

Helps if you have a keyboard player of course. 
    Doesn't qualify as changes chord progression round a 12-bar
    tFB Trader

bigjon said:
    The Chicken by Jaco Pastorius / James Brown - Bb7 x 4 | Eb7 x 2 | D7 x 1 | G7 x 2 | C7 x 4 |

It's G7 x 1, the last of the C7 x 4 bars is really a F11, and there's an extra Bb7 x4 at the end as well as at the beginning. Also, it's a bit long to teach the other players at a jam in the 30 seconds you have available before the audience gets bored.
    But other than that it's fine right? :)
    That's what I get for using the internet rather than working it out. Not sure about the F11 though. I've certainly never played that. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Green Onions - 12 Bar in F

But has internal chord progression for each chord of the 12bar, so doesn't qualify. Also, 12-bars should probably have their own discussion. I had a 5-page thread on musicradar of pop-songs that were really 12-bars in disguise, so I'll wait to see if any of the MR content can be rescued before I start that one again.
    bigjon said:

But other than that it's fine right? :)
    I lolled IRL :-)
    edited August 2013
    monquixote said: Not sure about the F11 though. I've certainly never played that. 

It's the bit where everyone goes down a Bbminor pentatonic in unison Ba dum, bam, bam, ba dum etc so the bass player isn't playing the F root note that's strongly implied as a V-chord link from the C7 (the II chord) to the Bb (the one chord) in a classic II-V-I progression. The notes of the Bb minor pentatonic over an F7 base imply a chord of F11 (strictly speaking, F11#9b13 if I'm being pedantic and OCD, which of course I never am) ;-)
    tFB Trader
    bigjon;3683" said:
    It's the bit where everyone goes down a Bbminor pentatonic in unison Ba dum, bam, bam, ba dum etc so the bass player isn't playing the F root note that's strongly implied as a V-chord link from the C7 (the II chord) to the Bb (the one chord) in a classic II-V-I progression. The notes of the Bb minor pentatonic over an F7 base imply a chord of F11 (strictly speaking, F11#9b13 if I'm being pedantic and OCD, which of course I never am) ;-)
    I think you may be over thinking it :)
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    edited August 2013
    Something like Cocaine by Clapton, just keep playing the E5 and D5. effectively no changes, but plenty going on.

Also the main riff  ¦E7---¦--D A¦ in Take Me To The River as seen here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XQJoWUw7ro

Lots of scope for E major blues, E minor blues, crossover, etc etc.

And this 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0NAofXeieM

¦ Am  - F -¦ D - G - ¦ Am - F - ¦ D - - - ¦

is nice to Jam over. D dorian except over the D when they key changes to D major, adds a bit of tension, nicely resolved if you hit the F# on the last bar, avoid it on the first time through.

• What about 'Wipeout'?
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    what's a one chord progression ?  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.

bertie said:
    what's a one chord progression ?  
    Good point, have now hyphenated chord-progression in the title
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    What about 'Wipeout'?
    12bar.

Band rehearsal tonight turned into a jam as bass player and singer were missing.

Jammed over White Room    ¦D - G/C - ¦ G/B - Bb C¦
    Shadow Play (Rory)     ¦Dm - Bb - ¦C - - -¦

In addition to those I mentioned above

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited August 2013
    ok,  whats a "chord progression"  as opposed to 'a bunch of chords'   (serious question)  is it a choon where the same "series" of chords are played over and over ad infinitum........as opposed ot a choon with a more "complex" structure
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
    ok,  whats a "chord progression"  as opposed to 'a bunch of chords'   (serious question)  is it a choon where the same "series" of chords are played over and over ad infinitum........as opposed ot a choon with a more "complex" structure
    A chord progression is just a series of chords in a certain order. Often songs can be broken down into a small number of progressions, e.g. one that's used for all the verses, one that's used for all the choruses etc.

Most songs will use a few different progressions, but some just have the same sequence of chords again and again - which is what this thread's about. HTH :)

• nickpnickp Frets: 182
    brother louis by hot chocolate, or alternatively covered by the choirboys amongst others

Am, Dm and the other chords (probably F & G) which I've forgotten which is strange as I play the rhythm throughout the song while the t'other guitarist does the widdling.

and the "bore me to tears" lets stick/stay together by brian ferry etc - just blues but played in an an uninteresting fashion
    bloody 'ell i'm on a roll

2-4-6-8 motorway is pretty much one progression all the way through except for one little bit
    and finally a comment on me being a dickhead and posting these in the instrumentals section not the song section...doh!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    Miles Davis - So what ... D7/Eb7/D7

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited April 2014
    Delete
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    U2 - Party Girl (Sorry)

Steve Vai - Jibboom.
    edited April 2014
    Delete