Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Dying valves? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Dying valves?

What's Hot
badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 849
edited September 2013 in Amps
Last night at practice my Vox AC15 CC1 had a big drop in volume a couple of times. I flicked the standby switch on and off and the volume came back. Is this my valves on the way out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Quite likely, yes - probably a power valve. Not a certainty though, there are a few other possible causes - but they're all tech jobs, so I would get a pair of new valves first (you should have them anyway really) and see if changing them fixes it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've just changed my valves. Replaced the old EH EL-84's for a set of JJ's and even at home levels it sounds better already but.... Plugged into the same socket as it always is when I'm at home there's a grounding hum when the ceiling light's on that wasn't there before the change. Turn the light off, it disappears. Any ideas?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter