Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Where's the love for Warwick? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Where's the love for Warwick?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    edited December 2014
    I love the Castle but otherwise it's a bit of a dump.

Leamington is nicer

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    I'd love a 5-string Thumb NT.

I am aware this will cost me a small fortune should I ever do it. Regardless of the low resale, they still cost a bomb secondhand.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2230
    A second hand 5 string thumb neck through should be under £1400, probably nearer £1200, so compared with the new ones costing about £3.5k still a bargain
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My Thumb NT 4 string is my main gigging bass.  Sits really well in the mix and sounds great

• Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 202
    edited July 2023
    This thread reappeared while I was looking for reviews of the Gnome amps.

Necrophilia here we come.

I bought a Streamer LX 5 about twenty years ago.  I'm still grateful every time I play it. Stunning range of tones, and its factory set up is still perfect.  It is powerful and balanced everywhere on the fretboard, and so articulate it's almost like it's reading your mind.

I can't imagine how you could improve on it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I've got a Corvette $$ Pro Series in gloss black with an ebony board, which apparently is a custom-only combination.

But it's for sale. I love the sounds, but I don't love the body shape - I'm constantly having to pull it slightly to the right because it just won't quite sit in the right place on the strap despite that phallic upper horn - and I *hate* the neck profile above about the 7th fret. It's nice at the nut end, but quickly becomes much too chunky. I thought I could get used to it, but then every time I went back to my Rickenbacker it was such a relief that in the end I decided the Warwick is not for me. It's for sale in a shop in Glasgow if anyone wants it...

About thirty years ago I had a Dolphin too - I quite liked the shape and the neck on that, but the electronics were absolutely dire, the treble control was basically just a hiss generator when it was turned up and it sounded crap with it turned down as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    I have a German-made Corvette Standard. I find it hangs fine on a strap but I may be taller than other users and I wear the instrument fairly high up.

None of my Warwick basses has its original pickups. The Corvette sports Seymour Duncan Active EQ "switch" pickups. The Streamer five string arrived with SD Phase series narrow soapbar pickups. After numerous experiments, the Streamer Pro M received the active MEC JJ pickup that it ought to have had from the beginning. (MEC Dynamic Correction passive, noise-cancelling pickups are utter shite.)
    Be seeing you.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I wanted to love Warwicks as they look so cool to me. Tried a bunch years ago and it just wasn't happening. It's a shame as I REALLY liked two models - The Stuart Zender one and the P-nut bass, both shown below.