Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Wide Range build - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Wide Range build

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
I've just started a a photo series over in the UK Makers section for those interested in pickups and pickup making. It will show the making of a Buccaneer Wide Range pickup from scratch.
:)
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Yes please :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/buccaneer/bg.jpg

Sorry, first mental image when I read the name of your new pickup!

Common for those of us of 'a certain age', no doubt...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Lol yup I get the reference ... named after Mick green's band the Pirates ... Mick being a famous WR pickup user.
    Not a new pickup by a long way ... sold many of them now ... but they seem a dark art to some people so I thought I'd demystify a little :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

• Not just a certain age - certain interests too! 

A family member of mine was a pilot in them, unfortunately his went down '92 though and he didn't make it. :( Still, a beautiful aircraft for sure.
    tFB Trader
    With me this lady has always been my pinup

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2013
    Hey Ash, you may just enjoy this then:

Jet tour of the atmosphere, from one of Iain Stewarts programs, missing the intro when he walks up to it on the runway, but well worth a view IMHO.

edit: oh yes and the vertical takeoff is missing too, worth catching the whole program if you can, you know auntie Beeb, there will be a repeat along in a minute or two...

tFB Trader
    Gorgeous ... not for nothing the Lightning has been called the Cold War Spitfire.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Its just a crying shame that they are not still flying - I visit Bruntingthorpe regularly to see their Cold War Jets collection... their open days are just amazing. Standing less than 50feet from a Lightning on full reheat is my idea of heaven. But then I'm odd...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I believe the reason they're not flying any more is that the UK CAA thinks they're too complex and potentially dangerous for a civilian operator. I think the Iain Stewart trip was filmed in South Africa, but I could be wrong.

I always liked what seemed to be the design philosophy though - get two of the most powerful jet engines you can find and bolt them together, attach as little of everything else as you possibly can, stick a seat in the front and press go :).

I vividly remember the typical low-level pass along the runway followed by a vertical climb until it became too small to see, from air shows in the 1970s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

I vividly remember the typical low-level pass along the runway followed by a vertical climb until it became too small to see, from air shows in the 1970s.
    That and the 'rolling thunder' of a low level Vulcan flypast ... the annual Isle of Wight airshow used to be the highlight of my year when I was kid. Having a dad who worked in 'rockets' and a grandad who had been in the RFC then RAF ... and went on to work for Vickers- Armstrong Supermarine helped stir the juices too.

• This discussion has definitely gone wide range. :-S 
  • Lovely things indeed.

The V bombers I really liked and there was  Beeb 2 or 3 part documentary on them and the pilots wot flew them, worth tracking down for a watch.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I love Wide Range Humbuckers... but moving on to military jets of my childhood... Our family holidays were always in Argyll and once in St Andrews, so I'm well aquainted with low flying Buccaneers, Vulcans, Jaquars and Phantoms:) I vividly remember being out walking my dog on a wee island south of Oban when a low flying Vulcan caught us by surprise. My dog was knocked off its feet!
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    tFB Trader
    The smell of 'Jet A' fuel still gets my blood up ... we have a police helicopter base opposite the stable where our horses are kept ... and there is an occasional evocative smell of aviation kerosine that wafts on the breeze.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2148
    edited September 2013 tFB Trader

I was lucky enough to serve on 12 Squadron for a while in the 80s. The Bucc was a fantastic aircraft. Nothing could carry as much, as far and as low. Enjoy:  Oh and skip to 4:30 for some nice laser spiking footage.