Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Transition from A major to C minor? - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Transition from A major to C minor?

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10211
Hello chaps. A challenge for you: I have to do a solo which bridges 2 songs - the first ends on a triumphant A major chord, then there's a minute's gap, then the next song is in C bluesy major/minor. I need to fill that gap with unaccompanied noodling that somehow navigates that modulation, possibly via a few joining chords. Any ideas?
Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• How long is the gap?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    1 minute ;)
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    A minor pentatonic = C major pentatonic, then C minor pentatonic, maybe just as the track comes in under a sustained Eb note...
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2014
    Ahh, totally missed that on my phone. Well it's not so tight that being completely strict matters or you could wander off and return. In a tighter spot I would have started with an outline A major, D major, D Dom, G minor, C minor.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    All you need is the A Major to A Minor change, then drift into Cm when you feel like it. You could also invent a cool chromatic riff from A to C as C is the min3rd of Am - so it all would fit.

Loads of options ...
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Use whatever mode Radiohead use in the middle section of Paranoid android - turn amaj and cmin into fuck buddies.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited November 2014
    Very cool; that RHC one I'd already had a go at and it falls nicely to my fingers, thanks, then I've just have been giving it another go and done the à la BJ/Jalapeno one.

Yes so at the moment I'm starting on a high C# (fret 21 on the top E string) and runining up and down the 4 notes, fret 21, 17 on E string, and 20, 17 on the B string a few times, then switching to A minor by doing frets 20, 17 on the B string and 19,17 on the G string), then using those 4 notes as part of the C major pentatonic running up to top C and down to bottom C (fret 20 on the bottom E string). Then coming down an octave to first finger on fret 8 of the bottom E string and hey presto I'm in C minor penta. Seems to work quite nicely :)
    Lol ok thanks Cirrus, will check it :)
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3260
    edited December 2014
    the chord of A = A, C#, E
    the chord of Cm = C, Eb, G

if I can assume that the chord of A is in a rock context so it can be essentially A7 [even though that's not what you actually play].
    noodle in A maj pentatonic and A mixolydian [blues rock / classic rock style]

A mixo chord VII = G

Cm chord V = G

progression: A to G [or G/B] then to Cm
    keys:
    over the A: A maj pentatonic and A mixolydian: key centre is D maj
    over the G: G lydian still has the D maj key centre.. you can also interleave G lydian and G mixolydian licks [key centre C maj and you can also use C maj and Cm pentatonics to start heading for the blues..
    eventually switch complete to G mixo..
    over the C: C dorian and Cm pentatonic

performance.. A to G to A to G repeatedly.. eventually go for the G and stay there to pave the way for the transition to Cm

however…. if the A chord is from A diatonic major we have a whole different prob to solve..
    it also depends upon whole much time you have..
    what style you want the transition to be in
    and if you want the transition to go almost un-noticed or not..

In Clarky's lil' world the solution is fkn simple..
    just feedback for ages and bask in the noize
    play every note as if it were your first
    Lol thanks @Clarky - your final suggestion is basically what I did! And in fact it wasn't A to C after all; they'd cut the last piece so it ended on a D not an A. It was Zadok the Priest. So I just went noisily from D to C in one fell pentatonic twiddle. This is what I did (apols for posting again :) )

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @viz hi matey.. is that vid clip you playing live? [I've not seen it yet - I'll take a look later when I'm back in the studio]
    Yes, on Monday. Don't analyse too carefully, there were more mistakes than correct bits!
  • viz said:
    Lol thanks @Clarky - your final suggestion is basically what I did! And in fact it wasn't A to C after all; they'd cut the last piece so it ended on a D not an A. It was Zadok the Priest. So I just went noisily from D to C in one fell pentatonic twiddle. This is what I did (apols for posting again :) )

Holy balls, that kicked arse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
    Top Viz!
    Thank you, good people! Tomorrow's the last one unfortunately :(
    viz said:

haa… awesome… I'd have done pretty much exactly the same thing…
    but less tastefully.. lmao

looks like a fun gig actually..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Less tastefully lol - cool :)
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1221
    When I grow up, I want to be viz. Well done! Looks like a sick gig. 
    edited December 2014
    It was dope as they say :)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    You appear to be dressed as a gorilla?!?! Or is it just bad lighting?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited December 2014
    Haha :)) - I'd just come from work and didn't have time to change unfortunately. (hence the cufflinks :) )

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zpse254ee2b.jpg
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    WTF - You dress as a Gorilla in Cufflinks for a dayjob?!?! :-0
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    ^^and his night job is even more disturbing............

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• So envious of that gorilla suit. Where'd you get it?

Amaj -> Am -> G7 ->Cmaj/m

• xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    So envious of that gorilla suit. Where'd you get it?

Amaj -> Am -> G7 ->Cmaj/m

Borrowed it off Phil Collins
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    edited December 2014

P.S. Loving all the vids we're seeing of forumites playing now!!
    He borrowed it off me!