Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The New Exercise Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The New Exercise Thread

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
Following on from the holding area thread. Thought we could nag (or if you prefer, inspire) each other to keep going with the ol' exercise/movement stuffs.

I just got back from a 4.1k run. I quite enjoy it, but it aint half knackering! I'm joining a gym soon too.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    I've put on weight so exercising is even more difficult, but I've been walking more, foregoing the bus.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    I teach 3 Martial arts classes a week so should have plenty of exercise but I spend more time teaching than doing. I need to lose half a stone so classes are going to change a bit . Bad diet however is more a problem.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

When my health improves (when I don't have to take a shit-load of painkillers to get through a day at work) I shall start exercising again.

I may even start going to the gym again.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    I do a basic routine with weights three times a week, meditate daily, and funnily enough woke up this morning and realised I hadn't done any regular cardio for yonks... so today's the day. 

Nothing heroic.  I was thinking 20 mins cycling a bit later in the day.

And if I don't, then a 20 minute essay on why I couldn't find the time to cycle but could find the time to spend on here. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Today is weights day.
    I'll get in a spin class this evening as well.
    Okay.  That was an interesting surprise and not in a good way.

I wasn't quite expecting to be so de-conditioned from a cardio point of view.

I actually hate to think how long it's been.

If anyone else has been a bit slack about this might be a good idea to check and see if your body's still up for it!
  • OK yesterday I did bodyweight exercises, followed by intervals on spin bike thing: 4x30s sprints, with 60s slow spins in between. Just started on pistol squats, thighs are aching today!

Today I rode me bike to work in the torrential rain (6km each way). Then drank half a bottle of wine (when I got home, not in work). Try to ride in 2-3 days per week.

My biggest fitness downfall is probably lack of sleep (he says, posting on theFB at 23:00).
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3260
    today was shoulders and arms day.. followed by about 25 mins of stretching all over...
    play every note as if it were your first
    I need to get in shape ready for doing physical work all day. Any tips?
    My V key is broken
    Start slow and build up over time- maybe a month or two.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    I recently invested in a road bike. Was loving it, then it broke and I'm waiting for a mate and his tools to become free so I can repair it. So I've not done any exercise in over a week having covered 100 miles on the bike in a couple of weeks.

Bad times indeed :(
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    yesterday I opened the shed and looked at my bike................ does that count ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862

today (hopefully, if the part has come in) I have to cycle about 8 miles to collect the car. Fortunately it's mostly downhill, unlike the ride when I dropped it off, which was mostly uphill.

Tomorrow, if we get the car back, we will go for a tramp and a ramble over Dartmoor (well, not all of it, but a part at least).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:

Tomorrow, if we get the car back, we will go for a tramp 

what've the homeless ever done to you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertie said:
    VimFuego said:

Tomorrow, if we get the car back, we will go for a tramp 

what've the homeless ever done to you
    'Tis not the homeless, it's the chavvy bint with the tattoo on her lower back. Not sure whether "go for" means "take potshot at" or "offer money in return for sexual favours" though ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    all possibilities are on the table, so long as it raises the heart rate.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2781
    25 mins tabata on the bag, working punches, kicks, elbows combinations! 25 minutes core workout, 20 mins stability ball grappling exercises.
    Light bike ride this evening after Tea.

If anyone wants any help with fitness or exercise goals/advice let me know as its a daily ting for me. Im no muscle man but am pretty good with bodyweight exercises for folk who dont like gyms etc and train boxing/jkd/kickboxing/grappling. Got some great workouts for blasting fat and helping gain strenth etc
  • guitariguitari Frets: 19

Anyone got any experience of Rat Race style events?

I've foolishly agreed to the one in Edinburgh in October

http://www.mhsurvival.co.uk/edinburgh/

Not too worried about the running parts but am about the obstacles!

:(
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Been cycling last 2 weekends but should prob heave my ass down the gym as well.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    Gonna go for another run tonight.
    Spin class in 45 mins for me.
    Cardio done.  Just a wee bit more tonight than last night. 
    octatonic said:
    I used to think that was people twirling round getting dizzy.
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    holnrew said:
    octatonic said:
    I used to think that was people twirling round getting dizzy.
    LOL- no it is indoor cycling- pretty intense.
    It is good, safe cardio too- low impact but really gets your heart rate up (Ahem, Emp!)

I forgot to mention earlier- today was weigh in day.
    Down another 1kg this week, which is 4.5 in the last month.
    Some of that is water weight of course and I'm not so worried about the scale- my clothes are looser and I have less of a gut which is really what matters.
    Legs day tomorrow.
    I hate legs day...
    Clarky said:
    Legs day tomorrow.
    I hate legs day...
    waxing or veet ?
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416

Clarky said:
    Legs day tomorrow.
    I hate legs day...
    Don't we all mate. But remember:

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    lmao...

nice socks too..
    and I'm not sure why he has his brain wired to his ass...
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Kick boxing last night. Drill the class a bit harder and got a real good workout in myself. Currently 14.4 want to get down to 13 1/2 st. Not a massive way to go but always hard to shift those last few pounds.
    birdo said:
    Kick boxing last night. Drill the class a bit harder and got a real good workout in myself. Currently 14.4 want to get down to 13 1/2 st. Not a massive way to go but always hard to shift those last few pounds.
    Try carb cycling.
    It is useful for getting rid of the last few lbs.

This actually brings up a point I've been wanting to make for a while.
    A lot of people go from doing *absolutely nothing* to a brutal diet and exercise routine and they wonder why they don't lose all the weight or keep it off.
    IMHO the reason for this is it is too much, too soon.
    It is better to take your time and leave the more brutal end of calorie restriction until when you really need it, like trying to lose those last few lbs.

Cleaning up the diet 80% of the time and doing exercise is all most people need to start to turn it around, especially if they have a lot of weight to lose or were totally sedentary.
    Starting out with a heavy calorie restriction leaves your metabolism nowhere to go.

--------------

Exercise today is a long walk with a weighted backpack- 15km carrying an extra 20kg.
    Should take me 2-3 hours, then back for some drumming and guitar playing.
    Have a great day ppl.