Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Peavey Windsor - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Peavey Windsor

PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
  So, what's the scoop on this amp?

Both of the stores I visited yesterday had one for sale, used, for VERY good prices.  I'm wondering if it would be worth a go- I'd like a proper valve amp, and the Peaveys I have tried were pretty nice.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• They're great for what they do - a hot rodded Marshall sorta tone.  

There are a few mods, but cleans don't really work, even at lower volume. Perhaps there is a clean channel mod? Or the ability to implement a solid state clean preamp into the power section, then a footswitch to the 'real' amp...

I don't know.  I'm not a techie! But when I tried one, if using humbuckers, even rolling back the volume pot just sorta left it 'a bit dirty'.  

It's very nearly the perfect amp for me.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    Yeah, they sound the nuts if you want that JCM800 tone, but the cleans are pretty non-existant. If they had two channels I'd get one myself, they go really cheap second hand.
  •   I was back at GC today, took the Super Champ in to see about getting it repaired.  ( turns out, it's still under Fender's warranty, and I'll need to arrange that through them.)

Anyhow, I asked the sales person about the Windsor combo they have, and she said that her impression was that it isn't a very warm sounding amp.  She did sell a bunch of them several years ago, and they were priced to sell then.  This is the first one I've ever seen in their used section, so somebody must like them!  She also had high praise for the Classic series amps- which they don't sell.  Warm is exactly what I want.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    edited September 2013
    I was tempted by one, saw one at gamblin music in Cardiff a few months ago

• They are not the mid scooped warm of us amps, more Marshall. Listen to randy rhoads and zakk wylde for good examples of tone. Not warm as such, but thick.
  •   Thanks, all- guess I'll go for the C30 then, they're cheap enough second hand.  US warm is just what I want.  ( I never cared for Randy's tone...)  I already KNOW my guitar sounds good through one!
  • Pyroman said:   Thanks, all- guess I'll go for the C30 then, they're cheap enough second hand.  US warm is just what I want.  ( I never cared for Randy's tone...)  I already KNOW my guitar sounds good through one!
    From what I've heard, the Classic 50 is more reliable (hopefully a tech can confirm.  I love the classic 50, I saw Satch using one at a gig and he sounded amazing.  

• Pyroman said:
      Thanks, all- guess I'll go for the C30 then, they're cheap enough second hand.  US warm is just what I want.  ( I never cared for Randy's tone...)  I already KNOW my guitar sounds good through one!
    From what I've heard, the Classic 50 is more reliable (hopefully a tech can confirm.  I love the classic 50, I saw Satch using one at a gig and he sounded amazing.  

I've heard the same, possibly from our very own ICBM.  While it's tempting, a 2x12 or 4x10 is just too much amp for my needs- and the Classic 30 is already obnoxiously loud for my apartment.

But, hey- that store's motto IS " Making hearing loss affordable!"