Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tele jack socket recess - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tele jack socket recess

What's Hot
I recently bought an unfinished tele body that's in need of some drilling.  Most of it I'm fine with but the I'm not sure how best to go about the jack socket.

The socket I've got has a 22mm diameter and a 3mm lip and, ideally, I'd want it to sit flush to the body.  I'm hesitant to use a "normal" (masonry?) drill bit as i) I don't have any the appropriate size and ii) it just doesn't strike me as being the right tool for the job.

Do I need a couple of these things or is there something better suited to the job?

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mjfmklH-CCV9ylcV_9uZObA.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    My (Squeir) Tele, well Son's, I am a crap guitarist and certainly not luthier!

Has a curved metal plate that carries the jack. This sits proud of the body and I assume you want the plate inlet and flush with the body? Tricky and skilled job, inletting metal into wood ( Googe "gunstock lock inletting) and needs sharp chisels and patience.

If you can find a tame engineer with a CNC miller he could probably do the job in a trice and for a  modest drinkypoo?

Or, of course a good luthier!
    Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sorry I should probably have been clearer about the shape of the jack socket.  It's one of these

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec_media/jptl03_tele_recessed_jack_550_2.gif

I'm thinking two concentric holes will do the job.  One at 22mm and a shallow one at 25mm to take the lip.  Just wondering what drill bit is best suited to the job.  I certainly don't want to start breaking out the chisels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1882
    edited September 2013
    Safest to use is a Forstner bit. Anything else can twist and chip the edge of your hole.

Drill your lip recess first then the 22mm through.

Make sure your work piece is held very firmly.

You'll want to re-tap that Eletrosocket knock-off for a Switchcraft jack too. 
    :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    RedRabbit said:
     is there something better suited to the job?
    Yes.

Those recessed Tele jackholders have been a pain in the backside for sixty years. Even if you use the Electrosocket so it doesn't fall out, you still can't get a normal right-angled plug in one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263

ICBM said:
    RedRabbit said:
     is there something better suited to the job?
    Yes.

Those recessed Tele jackholders have been a pain in the backside for sixty years. Even if you use the Electrosocket so it doesn't fall out, you still can't get a normal right-angled plug in one.
    In spades.
  • Still got to drill a hole guys ! I use the flat plate myself, but I got a mate to cut hole for me on machine, much easier.

Not too bad drilling hole before final shaping has been done, but after ?

• The flat flat plate looks a much easier option and I'm fairly certain I can cope with drilling a hole just for the jack socket.  It's not quite the look I was after but I think I need to go with what's easiest at this point or the body will just spend the next few years under the bed until I eventually give up.

Cheers guys.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    IIRC a long-thread (3/8") jack socket fitted to an electromatic jack plate will take a right-angled Neutrik.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    ICBM said:

Is a flat square plate better for a Tele than a curved rugby-ball shaped plate?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

Still got to drill a hole guys !

Yes, but it's much easier.

Paul_C said:
    IIRC a long-thread (3/8") jack socket fitted to an electromatic jack plate will take a right-angled Neutrik. 
    But not a Switchcraft, I don't think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• mart said:
    Is a flat square plate better for a Tele than a curved rugby-ball shaped plate?
    Teles normally have a small flat on the body there, so I think a flat plate would be better than a curved plate.
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    Thanks. I don't think I'd have noticed that, but after reading your comment and looking closely at the guitar, I think I can see a slight flattening round the socket. Cheers!