Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Android Tablets ??? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Android Tablets ???

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    On a more positive note... my Xbox force-feedback steering wheel and pedals arrived today from a nice lady on ebay.  All that was wrong with them was that she had lost the cables.  A bit of googling and a bit more ebaying later and I had replaced the cables and bought a PSU for the force-feedback for the princely sum of £13.  I won the wheel auction for just over a fiver, which, seeing as complete wheels are going for between £40 and £60, was a bargain I thought.  Plus.... it all works perfectly !  There's a tiny bit of free play in the wheel, but I'm sure it's nothing I can't sort out.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4451
    Can't see how RT can be rooted to run normal windows apps. RT runs on ARM pro runs on x86. So unless somebody has come up with an x86 emulator on ARM it should be impossible
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2939
    It was mentioned on one of the tech websites... someone found a way to get it to run normal applications rather than just RT apps...

Checking briefly shows you need to root/jailbreak/whatever it, then use Win86Emu to run stuff... 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4451
    I'd imagine they'd run like a dog
    I'd imagine they'd run like a dog
    Dogs run quite quickly...
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I have turned the screen away from him so he can't see your slander !
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    I don't think that's really true. 
    Which bit?.

It is true that it is (or it was when i last looked) a kludge to get the Nexus tablets to mount an external drive/usb stick, and then it was as a folder on the sdcard.

I was aware of the KWS webserver, but again, its a bit of a kludge to get it to operate.

And it is true (or it was) that software could not talk directly to the sound chip, meaning creating the types of geetar app/hardware so readily found on iPads have just no chance of making it over to Android. I really don't mean just being able to play stuff through headphones. If it is now the case that low level audio programming is possible on Android why is there still such a lack of usefull music apps for Android?
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4790
    edited August 2013
    Emp_Fab said:
    And the laser thermometer returns! Now we really do have a forum going on :D

We need to know the temperature of "stuff". The inside v's the outside of wellies, pre and post mud, for example. A "how hot is your boat?" thread. The possibilities are limit...ed/less.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    hywelg said:
    Which bit?.

It is true that it is (or it was when i last looked) a kludge to get the Nexus tablets to mount an external drive/usb stick, and then it was as a folder on the sdcard.

I was aware of the KWS webserver, but again, its a bit of a kludge to get it to operate.

And it is true (or it was) that software could not talk directly to the sound chip, meaning creating the types of geetar app/hardware so readily found on iPads have just no chance of making it over to Android. I really don't mean just being able to play stuff through headphones. If it is now the case that low level audio programming is possible on Android why is there still such a lack of usefull music apps for Android?
    It's not true that there is any significant difference in audio programming between iOS on Android and iOS and in general Android as a programming environment is more permissive than iOS. Neither give you direct access to the sound hardware and neither would they as without going via the OS you would have to write drivers for each sound chip like when you had to pick "Sound Blaster" in games in the 90's and for phone devices it would stop them working as a phone. 

The reason there is a lot more commercial audio software for iOS is the same reason there are a lot more commercial games firstly because there are a smaller number of target devices so it's much easier to test and deliver a consistent performance and secondly though there are more android devices in the world than iOS many more apps are sold on iOS.
    A close friend attended a training session recently, and as part of it they were tasked with coming up with some sales strategy, and the group decided that a Mobile App would be the easiest (and most clichéd? hmm?) he suggested that they shouldn't just target Apple, but also Android and even Windows Phone.

The judging panel of trainers didn't know what Android or Windows Phone were.

Now, ok, they're probably morons, but if the people training people in Sales and Marketing don't know what Android and Windows Phone are, then it's likely a lot of marketing peeps wont either - so when they commission a company to write software for them, they'll ask for an iPhone app... and that's what they'll get. Which is why I think a lot of Apps were slower to arrive on Android than on iOS.

Obviously Apps that were written by programmers THEN marketed wouldn't be affected by this, but certainly Apps dreamed up in marketing meetings by people who buy the shiniest product on the shelf rather than the best/cheapest could easily be iPhone only because the Marketing MD has heard of that... some are less than tech savvy after all
  • Given how popular Android devices are they fact they hadn't heard of them really shows them as being inept. 

Trouble is, sales and marketing types often are inept! Or they would be doing something more useful
  • Myranda said:
    Trouble is, sales and marketing types often are inept! Or they would be doing something more useful
    There are also certain business subsets that worship at the temple of Apple and don't realise that most people use a Windows based computer and have a phone that isn't an iPhone. Often designers and PR types. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Myranda said:
    A close friend attended a training session recently, and as part of it they were tasked with coming up with some sales strategy, and the group decided that a Mobile App would be the easiest (and most clichéd? hmm?) he suggested that they shouldn't just target Apple, but also Android and even Windows Phone.

The judging panel of trainers didn't know what Android or Windows Phone were.

Now, ok, they're probably morons, but if the people training people in Sales and Marketing don't know what Android and Windows Phone are, then it's likely a lot of marketing peeps wont either - so when they commission a company to write software for them, they'll ask for an iPhone app... and that's what they'll get. Which is why I think a lot of Apps were slower to arrive on Android than on iOS.

Obviously Apps that were written by programmers THEN marketed wouldn't be affected by this, but certainly Apps dreamed up in marketing meetings by people who buy the shiniest product on the shelf rather than the best/cheapest could easily be iPhone only because the Marketing MD has heard of that... some are less than tech savvy after all

I think the people your friend was dealing with were probably idiots, but there is definitely a bias. I've been in meetings several years ago where all the execs pulled out their iDevices and demanded that the software had to be on iPhone even though at the time iPhones were nowhere in terms of numbers and Symbian/Blackberry ruled the roost. 

The decision over the most important platform comes down to what kind of software you are writing. If it's to support a paid service or the app is free (like Dropbox, Evernote, Spotify, etc) then Android is your first port of call because of the numbers. If you are looking to write something hardware intensive like a game or an audio application iOS is significantly easier because you are supporting fewer models so its much easier to optimise and test. If you are writing something where the revenue comes from app purchases again iOS is the pick because people spend a lot more on the iOS app store compared to Android. 

Win mobile and BB are absolutely nowhere at the moment and so generally you have to be going for the last few percent to make it worthwhile to develop anything for them.