Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pete's Burl Maple SG - pretty much finished! - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pete's Burl Maple SG - pretty much finished!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1669
    Apologies for being late to the party Andy! But I think that's a magnificent guitar - sounds exactly like a great SG should to me, and the looks are spot on. I do like that 4-ply pickguard btw, nice touch. I'd say exactly the sort of thing Gibson should be doing themselves, but aren't... :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    Very nice, the in between on the clean sound is really nice!

Depends what you compare with.  It's the standard heavy-duty polyurethane varnish that I remember my father raving about when it was first brought out (what seems like) hundreds of years ago when he realised that we could bash our toys on the dining room table and not mark it at all.  Then again, it is nowhere near as rugged as a commercially-applied poly or nitro guitar finish (but probably more because of the typical wipe-one thickness rather than the material itself).  
    Then again, compared with my previous obsession (and great experiences) with Tru-oil, it is a MUCH more rugged finish and stays shiny too!  
    The white spirit doesn't affect the strength of the fully cured varnish - it just makes it much easier to apply a cloth-wiped finish.  It also makes it quicker between coats but, of course, needs more coats.  Time-wise it is therefore about evens but much more likely to end up with a smooth finish.  I wipe on using the blue micro-fibre cloth from a Homebase £2 pack of three.

Thanks folks, by the way, for the nice feedback.  Pete (our old gits band bassist who fancies himself as a lead player) saw it for the first time last night when I did a 'final fit' to see if he wanted the neck tweaking at all.  He was really pleased with it.  Phew! 
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    DeeTee said:
    That is gorgeous, well done. And you just use Ronseal and white spirit for the finish? How does that hold up?
    Technology - don't you just love it.  My answer above was supposed to be to DeeTee's question here!  Fingers Thumbs All And - make these words into a well known phrase  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Very nice work. The owner will be well chuffed. 
  • RichRich Frets: 18
    Yep, looks like a wonderful build, and those clips sound great too. I think I've given you about 7 Wows in this thread now!
    Rich said:
    Yep, looks like a wonderful build, and those clips sound great too. I think I've given you about 7 Wows in this thread now!
    Like a lady can never have too many shoes, a fella can never have too many Wows  :)

Thanks for the encouraging feedback, folks

Andy