Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Look who it is! - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Look who it is!

What's Hot
So, I'm on holiday in St Ives, Cornwall, and for 2 weeks in September the Lifeboat Inn has a different band on every night. Mostly your standard pub covers efforts - ska band Rudi's Message were fab, for example - but last night it was Bare Knuckle Blues Band...only Tim "Bareknuckle Pickups" Mills' band..blimey!

And then Charles Shaar Murray walks past me on the way to the loo...double blimey 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    And then Charles Shaar Murray walks past me on the way to the loo...double blimey 
    And you missed a perfect opportunity for him to get punched by a random stranger?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• >:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Is St.Ives a "star-spotters paradise"? When  was there last year, Peter Shilton (most capped England player) was swimming next to me and we had a chat.

Charles Shaar Murray - MEH!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've been coming here a few years now, I suppose it was inevitable that word would get around and stars would be attracted into my orbit. *sigh*

To be honest, I was far less interested in Shaar Murray than I was in checking out Tim Mills' band. As you'd expect, he didn't have what you might call a shoddy guitar sound...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Saw Tim's band at the Birmingham guitar show - you didn't have to travel that far Dave!
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • True....although The Bear Tavern doesn't sell Rattler, so I have to come down here anyway.

(The band weren't very good, to be honest...think he deserves a better platform for his playing, imho)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited September 2013
    As I was going to St Ives 
    I met a man with seven wives 
    Of course, the seven wives weren't his 
    But here in France, that's how it is
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    funny, i'm going there tomorrow...

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    octatonic said:
    As I was going to St Ives 
    I met a man with seven wives 
    Of course, the seven wives weren't his 
    But his sisters
    for correctness.

:)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2013
    There was a guitarist from St Ives,
    Who tried to learn Guthrie's "Fives",
    When he failed he tried his hand at
    some Satriani,
    But gave up on that too and went for a pint and biryani

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    Kebabkid;38933" said:
    There

was a guitarist from St Ives,

Who tried to learn Guthrie's "Fives",

When he failed he tried his hand at some Satriani,

But gave up on that too and went for a pint and biryani
    funny, i'm from st ives and that describes me perfectly

>:)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• And then Charles Shaar Murray walks past me on the way to the loo...
    He looks like a man who would frequently 'visit the loo' at gigs....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    He looks like a man who would frequently 'visit the loo' at gigs....
    "Mirror in the bathroom"?

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    edited September 2013
    Kebabkid said:

Charles Shaar Murray - MEH!
      Oh I agree, spent most of the late 70s slagging off the greatest bands that ever were and now spends  most of the time lauding them 
    :|
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ICBM;39004" said:
    "Mirror in the bathroom"?

;)
    Indeed....

Though not one to condone violence, I concur with your earlier post. Truly an opportunity (or face) missed....
  • Having been totally oblivious to CSM my first contact with him was reading Cross Town Traffic, which I enjoyed a lot at the time. His column in Guitarist was crap though.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Quite. His NME stuff was "fighting the punk wars" nonsense, if memory serves