Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Big change in the direction of my guitar buying (and NGD thread) - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Big change in the direction of my guitar buying (and NGD thread)

What's Hot
RevMattRevMatt Frets: 751
Just a little reflection in some changes that I've gone through in the last 12 months - there's no reason to believe these changes will last but regardless of that, this last year has seen me do things differently...

Like many of us, I've spent years trading up to get the best guitars I could afford, and I thought I'd achieved the peak when I settled on a small but perfectly formed collection of 3 Patrick James Eggle guitars - I guess I had, all 3 were guitar building perfection, they looked, sounded and played stunning! But then, having spent decades getting to this point, I was struck by something:
  • partly imposter syndrome (much as though I loved the guitars, my playing ability didn't even come close to doing them justice)
  • partly discomfort about the value (it just seemed like such a lot of money tied up in 3 guitars)
  • and partly something about the art of the craft coming before the function (brilliant though they were to play, they were almost too nice for me to thrash about on without worry).

Important to say, those reflections are not intended to be a judgement on anyone else's guitar buying preferences and habits, just something of my own struggle, and so after a bit of soul searching, I sold 2 of the 3 PJEs (so far I've kept the Macon as that was the one I'd lusted after the longest). Of course, this posed a new dilemma - what to spend the money on, after all, this money had come from decades of birthdays, buying, selling, saving etc, so it wasn't heading back into the family pot.

I settled on a theory, which so far seems to be working for me - I concluded that I didn't want any guitars that cost more than £1000, and have subsequently bought several guitars (and sold a few of them along the way) in search of ones which seem to work for me, and seem to be best value for money.

The 2 I'll mention here, seem to be great examples of what £1000 can get, and both cost exactly that:

PRS singlecut trem - 2007

PRS CE22 - 2006

I should say, this isn't a PRS fan club post, there have been some other amazing guitars for sub £1000 including 2x carvins, a Gibson Firebird, and ESP), but perhaps I've highlighted these because often PRS are identified with high spec, flashy museum pieces (maybe a bit like the PJEs), but as you'll see with these two, they're fairly plain, both very well played with dings, mods and wear to prove it.

But, moving from my pristine wall art guitars to these, I've found myself loving to play again, perhaps because I'm thinking less about what the guitar is doing and more about what I'm doing - all very philosophical!

Oh, and just to prove this isn't all about PRS, there should be an Epiphone (Gold Glory JJN signature) arriving tomorrow! 

(disclaimer - these could all be back up for sale next week as I start saving for the next dream purchase)
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I like the Single Cut Trem and those satin finished models - Even as a no frills model you’ve done well to buy one at 1k - But you are right to show what good guitars can be found at exceptional prices 

Those satin models are effectively the same as their flashy cousins other than the maple top. - Same luthiers , attention to detail , parts pick ups etc etc so no down turn in performance feel playability etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I’ve got one of the satin finished 20th anniversary models.  I think the absence of a bling glossy finish adds a lot to the feel of the instrument.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1111
    The CE is lovely Matt - nice find

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    edited October 2023
    Congrats indeed!

I would still love to get my hands on one of the satin singlecut soapbar models, but it hasn’t happened… yet! ;)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    You’re the one who snagged the JJN from Richtone. 
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 751
    grungebob said:
    You’re the one who snagged the JJN from Richtone. 
    Yes, @grungebob - figured it might not hang around long so bit the bullet to satisfy my P90 craving.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 751
    edited October 2023
    I like the Single Cut Trem and those satin finished models - Even as a no frills model you’ve done well to buy one at 1k
    @guitars4you ;; - That one came from your old stomping ground - Hippo Guitars in Derby, a brilliant little shop.

I think part of the thing for me is not being afraid of buying something that's a bit dinged - with my PJEs I was buying into a collector's item market where condition was everything whereas my recent purchases have all been a bit abused, meaning they're so much easier for me to abuse!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I like the way they both have saddles worn down to the brass.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Congrats indeed!

I would still love to get my hands on one of the satin singlecut soapbar models, but it hasn’t happened… yet! ;)
    You come across the regular Singlecut model from time to time, but I can’t ever recall a Single Cut Trem version - Someone on FB posted info about one a while ago

My only issue with them is that the Seymour Duncan P90s are to powerful and not vintage enough- Maybe be fine with more gain but not ideal for me
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    FACT: cheaper guitars are more fun to play. Enjoy! 

I’m off to the unpopular opinions thread…