Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD / Serious point(s) re Mexican Strat - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD / Serious point(s) re Mexican Strat

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
Comrades!

Having been stratless for the best part of the year, and getting sick of having to do pre-bends and shit to try to approximate the Wicked Game riff, I went a-huntin' in the market to spend the fruits of my surplus labour.

Times being a trifle 'ard and all, I went in at the less spendy end of the 'true' Fender market, in the shape of Mexican strattage.  And ended up springing for this rather jolly 2015 spec 'Roadhouse' model.

The 2 points are, first, I was genuinely surprised by the price inflation at what might be considered the more budget end of the market.  Not so long ago, a decent Mex Strat could be had for £250 or thereabouts, iirc.  But I guess price hikes apply across the board, so no moaning here.

The more serious point is, I'm genuinely blown away by the quality of the thing.  Not intended as a brag by any means but my most recent Strats have been a Custom shop, a Japanese special edition and then an Eric Johnson, which was fantastic.  So I was expecting something a little more ... agricultural from this one. 

Totally wrong.  Quite apart from the appointments (nice big sexy 70's style headstock, Texas Special pickups, locking tuners, fancy wiring wizardry that I suspect I'll never understand, let alone use), the fit and finish is flawless.  OK it ain't vintage mojo toanz aged nitro, but I love the buttercream finish.  

Best of all is the neck.  It's flawless, and so is the fretwork.  Medium jumbos - just the ticket.  Really, really nicely done - not a hint of a sharp edge, no choke points, a real nice handful.

Call it confirmation bias, but I'm really not perceiving much (if any) difference between this and previous models I'd spent several times the ££ on.

Did I just get lucky, or is this the norm for Mexican instruments, now (or, at least, in 2015)?

Picture!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Oh, and because EVERYTHING is improved by the addition of tort, with thanks to the ever-helpful @MikeS of this parish, here's a mock-up of my current plans for the thing...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter