Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Can anyone make me Tokai truss rod cover? Or a Few - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Can anyone make me Tokai truss rod cover? Or a Few

What's Hot
Hello everyone,

I have a couple of 80's Tokai's that have had the truss rod cover replaced to a bell shaped Gibson one at some point over the years. I very much like the original pointy Tokai Love Rock one and would like to replace them with replacements but original 80's Love Rock shaped ones like the below are 25 euros each from Faber in Germany and i would prefer not having to pay that. Especially since i need 3

Would anyone be able to make them? I have one to create a template of but I don't think i would have the skill to cut them.

I may also need a custom pickguard cut too (I now its sacrilege)

Cheers

Michael
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SvennnSvennn Frets: 136
    I have a laser cutter that does have the skill and I could easily create a file from your original but the two tone black and white not so simple. I do have some b&w acrylic and could engrave the edges to give that look but I think the black layer would be thicker and create more of a lip if that makes sense?
    9-42 thru 11-56 depending on my mood
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    They'll probably be made from the dual layer material used for signs (and pick guards), which I have totally forgotten the name off!

Somebody with a CNC router should be able cut them, but may need a specific cutter to do the edge.
    Is the edge rounded or a plain taper?

I've got a cnc mill that could do them, but by the time I source the material, I'd probably not be that much cheaper.

Might be worth trying some of the custom pick guards companies, as they could have some suitable off cuts they could use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prismrock2003prismrock2003 Frets: 25
    edited October 2023
    Thank you for the replies. 

I dont have the truss rod cover to hand as im at work, but i think the edges are a straight cut through the black layer and leaving a 90 degree ledge of the white layer showing through. I'm pretty sure its not beveled at all.

I've found a couple of ropey pictures on google there

Looking into it It seems that 2ply material is quite hard to get too. So I may have to look into having a company who custom cut pickguards to do it.

Cheers

Michael
  • Jack's Instrument Services in Manchester should have no problems with that.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    ... but original 80's Love Rock shaped ones like the below are 25 euros each from Faber in Germany and i would prefer not having to pay that. Especially since i need 3

Would anyone be able to make them?
    I think you'll be very lucky to find someone who is willing to hand make these for less than €25 each.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter