Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Getting my amp selector footswitch to work - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Getting my amp selector footswitch to work

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10211
edited October 2023 in FX
Helleau, I have a Carvin amp which uses a stereo-lead channel selector / reverb on-off switch. FS22. The amp's selector knob has to be set to channel A, and then the footswitch selects A or B.

I have also got a Raygun channel selector footswitch that I would like to use instead (for channel switching only). It doesn't have reverb select so I was expecting it would need a mono cable, but when I plug that in, the channel B is always selected, no matter what the Amp selector knob is point at. 

Amp footswitch  RAYGUN FX

What should I do?
Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
fs22,jpg.jpg 19.9K
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    Might just ping @ICBM on this one :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I would try it with a TRS cable first, because that's what the amp is expecting. It might well be that having the Ring & Sleeve permanently connected (effectively what the amp is seeing with a TS cable) then that is confusing it.

Though actually by the same logic I think the ring & sleeve are probably for the channel switching, which would be why the single switch doesn't do anything, if it's switching the connection between tip & sleeve and leaving the ring/sleeve connected at all times. Fixable with a custom TRS cable if you know how to solder. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I've been looking for a bloody trs in my bag of crap but think I got rid of them all, I'll get one. Cheers :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited October 2023
    The tip will be for the reverb and the ring for the channel. This is bad design, really - a thoughtful designer would use the tip for the channel and the ring for reverb, with the ring grounded being reverb on, since then you could do exactly what you want with no hassle.

You need to replace the TS (mono) plug on the amp end of the cable with a TRS (stereo) plug, with the hot wire to the ring not the tip. If that leaves the reverb off (and you want it on, or vice versa) you also need to link the tip to ground with a short wire.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Awesome. Thank you!