Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Great Escaper - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Great Escaper

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4314
Starring Michael Caine and Glenda Jackson - her last film.
Bloody marvellous.  Go and see it.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Bump.   Seriously.   No shit.   Go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    If there are no explosions, car chases, gun battles, assassins, aliens, robots, hookers and nudity, it's not for me.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Sassafras said:
    If there are no explosions, car chases, gun battles, assassins, aliens, robots, hookers and nudity, it's not for me.
    There is plenty of that, and loads of the most mind bending CGI ever.  :3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It has explosions and a (big) gun battle.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I'm interested thanks for flagging, but I'll wait for streaming.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I saw the Kermode and Mayo review. Probably not a film that would get me to the cinema but sounds perfect for a rainy Sunday tea time. 

My father became very interested in what his father did during WWII. My father wanted to do more foreign travel but my mother wouldn't go. A few years after my father's death I went to the monument in France to the ship my grandfather had been on (although he was a survivor). It was interesting but how I wished I had made the effort and taken my father when he was still alive. As I'm not a veteran of any war that's as close as I'm going to get but that certainly part of the reason my interest has been piqued with this film. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    axisus said:
    I'm interested thanks for flagging, but I'll wait for streaming.

In which case you will miss the fantastic cinematography which you only get on the big screen as was intended.
  • I saw the trailer with my Mrs in the cinema and we both were moved by the bit when he broke down at the graves. My wife turned to me with tears streaming down her face and said 'He can't act for shit can he ?' which made me laugh
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    Gotta feel sorry for any other female actor hoping for a best supporting actor award this year when Glenda's turned out this final performance.
  • Caine and Jackson give really, really good performances, but I thought the film was predictable, TBH. They made it watchable. 

From recent trips to the cinema, I far preferred The Old Oak and Past Lives. 
    Caine and Jackson give really, really good performances, but I thought the film was predictable, TBH. They made it watchable. 

From recent trips to the cinema, I far preferred The Old Oak and Past Lives. 
    The two of them make the film.  A bit predictable - essentially a true story - but the acting is sublime.

A film that could never have been made in Hollywood.