Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rare High-End Guitar… - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rare High-End Guitar…

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 7650

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TDubsTDubs Frets: 511
    She saw you Cummings 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Is it "high end" because it has the humbucker rather than a single-coil?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 239
    I can think of various reasons why it is rarely played...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It really is very cool-looking, though.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Quite nice looking guitar at a not stupid asking price. What's the problem? 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 7650

Just the thought of a Marlin Sidewinder being described as “rare” and “high end”. Not terms usually associated with the brand!

Saying that, the necks on those models were actually very good indeed - by far the best thing about the guitar (if you ignore the 12th fret inlay!)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This totally poops all over any McSwain Guitar that I own, or have ever played.  I wonder if she'd consider a straight swap, or a swap with a couple of quid her way, perhaps for my McSwain Red, White and Blue complete with it's optional and matching wall mount?

Just the thought of a Marlin Sidewinder being described as “rare” and “high end”. Not terms usually associated with the brand!

Saying that, the necks on those models were actually very good indeed - by far the best thing about the guitar (if you ignore the 12th fret inlay!)
    Yeah, I must admit I do tend to zone out all but the most florid descriptions these days  :)
  • SvennnSvennn Frets: 136
    The thread title just dripped sarcasm, confirmed when I saw the poster.

I actually knew a guy who used one of these for years. He could really play but never felt the need to trade up and possibly loved the understated guitar axe hero vibe
    9-42 thru 11-56 depending on my mood
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    When I had my music shop I remember kids coming in who had Marlins like the one pictured hoping for repairs ... the 'locking trems' were awe inspiringly awful ... the fine tiners would break off super easily and the whole bridge appeared to be made of chromed cheese ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What kind of cheese?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    What kind of cheese?
    Tesco Value mild Cheddar 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

^
    Miscellaneous food and drink - Wikisimpsons the Simpsons Wiki
    This totally poops all over any McSwain Guitar that I own, or have ever played.  I wonder if she'd consider a straight swap, or a swap with a couple of quid her way, perhaps for my McSwain Red, White and Blue complete with it's optional and matching wall mount?
    Like this one?

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited October 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    This totally poops all over any McSwain Guitar that I own, or have ever played.  I wonder if she'd consider a straight swap, or a swap with a couple of quid her way, perhaps for my McSwain Red, White and Blue complete with it's optional and matching wall mount?
    Like this one?

That's extremely similar, mine has the stars ''upgraded'' to sterling silver, the ''normal version'' doesn't, not to mention I went with the custom bullet option - as in the bullets used to make mine where made from bullets that I actually fired myself at a shooting range, though I like the black and white version a lot better, a hell of a lot more actually, but wasn't lucky enough to get one
  • shobetshobet Frets: 180
    With a name like LLoraine, she sounds Welsh. I'd trust her as far as I could shit. 

And I'm Welsh. So 'cer i gachi`'. ;) 
    Do ursus deposit feculence in the thicket?

Here endeth the lesson. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Gachu, surely?
    Be seeing you.
  • Just spotted a Teisco woolies special on Reverb for £350 makes the Marlin look like a too good to miss bargain
    https://reverb.com/uk/item/71010661-teisco-kawai-1960s-stratocaster-tobacco-burst
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it "high end" because it has the humbucker rather than a single-coil?
    That example qualifies as "high end" because its zinc vibrato sustain block has not yet disintegrated.

Back in the day, UK distributor BMS charged a few extra quid for the painted headstock. 
    Be seeing you.
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 2
    edited October 2023
    I have one of these, on which the (plywood) body disintegrated when I fitted it with Floyd Rose trem, but the neck is very good - I will get a new body for it if I can ever find the time.
    The brand appears to have been revived, and is available in my local music shop -

shobet said:
    With a name like LLoraine, she sounds Welsh. I'd trust her as far as I could shit. 
    With a name like LLorraine, she sounds like a spelling mistake.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    LLorraine CCummings - It has a nnice ring to it, as though Ronnie BBarker CChristened her.
    HarrySeven said:

I got a black one with red fretboard inlays for free about 25 years ago.  A guy I knew was in charge of a school musical department and was going through all the damaged equipment to see if the local music shop could repair them or replace bits.  That one was "uneconomical to repair" (soft cheap alloy bridge knackered) so it ws destined for the skip.  I made a plate to cover the bridge cavity, installed a standard hard-tail bridge, and fitted piezo contact transducers under it in the hope I had something different and unique.  It didn't work, but I kept the neck for about 10 years in case it might be useful in another project.  The first thing I did was dremel out the red 12th fret marlin inlay leaving it as a dot and fill the surround with tinted epoxy.  The neck was actually quite good, and the fretboard was a nice dark rosewood.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    jca74 said:
    I can think of various reasons why it is rarely played...
    excellent
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    You could combine "rare" and "high end" to form "rear end", a more than accurate description of that piece of shit. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    States 1986 and 30 odd years old - Does that mean they can't work out it is 37 years old, or in fact 'nearly' 40 years old 

Selling a 'high end vintage guitar that is nearly 40 years old' sounds better !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    By the standards of the shite washing around in the 80s, it's probably not bad at the lower end. 'High end' is possibly gilding the lily a touch.

'Rare' is closer, it's been a long time since I saw one at any rate.

Also how many guitars do you see nowadays with a normal plastic nut, a Floyd-style locker, AND a string bar retainer?

Must count for something, surely.
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    Also I actually quite like the look of it.

</coat>
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    Seeing one of those in my mum's catalogues as a kid was almost as thrilling as the lingerie section.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter