Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pickup dimensions - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pickup dimensions

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
Hello all. I’ve got myself confused. 
I ordered a neck filtertron pickup and it’s come in around 72mm in length on the casing. I thought they were 69 like humbuckers and it was just that filtertrons were narrower than humbuckers? 
The length of this pickup seems odd to me 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    TV Jones Classic Plus in my green Warmoth bitsacaster 70 x 34mm. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    Thanks 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    Filtertron pickups are usually 70.9 wide by 33.9 some differ slightly ... normal Gibson humbuckers are 69x38mm. Filtertrons are wider and narrower ...  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

Thanks for that I’ll take a photo of each in my hand to hopefully help show what to my eyes looks a massive difference 
    tFB Trader
    grungebob said:
    Thanks for that I’ll take a photo of each in my hand to hopefully help show what to my eyes looks a massive difference 
    The obvious question is what is the guitar and what is the replacement pickup? 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

grungebob said:
    Ah well the guitar in question is strat like so it’s having a new guard cut for a filtertron and a humbucker. 
    The filtertron I’ve received doesn’t look like others I’ve had. Even the feet screw positions are wrong. 
    grungebob said:
    grungebob said:
    Ah well the guitar in question is strat like so it’s having a new guard cut for a filtertron and a humbucker. 
    The filtertron I’ve received doesn’t look like others I’ve had. Even the feet screw positions are wrong. 
    'Curiouser and curiouser' cried Alice ... 
    Pic would be really interesting ... 

Here it is 

It’s just an Artec one for now until I decided what would work best in the guitar. The guard should be here tomorrow 
    Ah that's what used to be ... and maybe still is ... sold as a 'Guitar Fetish Liverpool' I think ... I have one in a drawer somewhere ... not the same as a Filtertron at all. Not the same as anything I've ever found to fit it in, hence why it's spent about ten years in a drawer! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ah that's what used to be ... and maybe still is ... sold as a 'Guitar Fetish Liverpool' I think ... I have one in a drawer somewhere ... not the same as a Filtertron at all. Not the same as anything I've ever found to fit it in, hence why it's spent about ten years in a drawer! 
    Cheers. It’s going back. Nowhere I can find stocks trons it seems. 
    grungebob said:
    Cheers. It’s going back. Nowhere I can find stocks trons it seems. 
    Not for cheap at least ... there's TV Jones, several others, I do my Cow-Tron traditional to order ... but cheap, proper Filtertrons are not really a thing ... the parts aren't cheap you see. 

Stop the press ... 
    I did find these  at just over £55.00

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Wow thanks again. 
    I’ve only had limited experience with trons and those were fenders own fidelitrons , loved em. 
    Tv jones I could t find either in stock or for less than £140. I did check Oilcity but none listed. 
    Mojo was a 45+ day lead time and the creamery’s website wasn’t working for me. 
    I saw the one I bought and thought I’d give it a bash, if I still liked the idea of a tron for this guitar I’d upgrade it. 

tFB Trader
    grungebob said:
    Wow thanks again. 
    I’ve only had limited experience with trons and those were fenders own fidelitrons , loved em. 
    Tv jones I could t find either in stock or for less than £140. I did check Oilcity but none listed. 
    Mojo was a 45+ day lead time and the creamery’s website wasn’t working for me. 
    I saw the one I bought and thought I’d give it a bash, if I still liked the idea of a tron for this guitar I’d upgrade it. 

At the moment I only do my own 'Trons' to special order - hence not seeing them on my site :-)  Those Artecs should tell you if you like the concept mind :-)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    The majority of budget 'Tron-alikes are regular humbuckers under a metal cover with a "H" slot through the top. There are several constructional reasons why these haven't a hope in Hell of sounding like the real thing.
    Be seeing you.
    tFB Trader
    The majority of budget 'Tron-alikes are regular humbuckers under a metal cover with a "H" slot through the top. There are several constructional reasons why these haven't a hope in Hell of sounding like the real thing.
    You are talking about the flat topped, regular bucker sized H gate humbuckers ... they are really just any old Humbucker slapped in an H gate shell ... Gretsch used them for a while on their Electromatic series. 
    'Real'  vintage style Filtertrons  have double thickness alnico magnets, smaller bobbins that go under the narrower covers and a very low 42awg wind ..,. not usually much over 5k if that! Their tone comes mostly from the stonking great magnet and narrow, underwound  coils.

• rprrpr Frets: 302
  • rprrpr Frets: 302
    It is possible to get filtertrons in standard HM size as well...
    @rpr  I had mate thanks.