Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Overdrive discoveries - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Overdrive discoveries

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 263
For ages on my board I've had three drive pedals (apart from fuzz) - Nobels ODR1, Emma Onomatopoeia, Thorpy Gunshot. 

In live use I only really used the Nobels and Onomatopoeia - the Thorpy was only used on occasion. Thinking the Thorpy to be a better pedal I've had the Onomatopoeia up for sale. However after playing today I think I'm changing my mind.

Don't get me wrong, the Gunshot is a brilliant pedal, but I don't think it's quite suited to my tastes. Into a clean amp (Fender Blues Deluxe) it sounds too nasally and a bit muddy. The  Onomatopoeia on the other hand is really clear and articulate. 

I've tried the Gunshot with varying degrees of gain, tone and calibre control changes and I just can't get it to sound how I would like it to. 

The Onomatopoeia perhaps doesn't have quite enough gain on tap as I'd ideally like, but I think I may have to part with the Gunshot. 

It just goes to show, what you think you want on paper, however 'good' the pedal is, it all comes down to what makes you want to play and what sounds good to you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Huge wis for that last line. It's all about your hands and your ears and what works with your own gear. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • keirkeir Frets: 132
    I always used to put my gain pedals high gain to low but recently have tried the other way and like the results. 

The ODR into the Onomatopoeia might give you the gain you are looking for

Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Have you ever tried a ThorpyFx The Dane?  Listening to Thorpy website pedal reviews, The Gunshot does sound relatively thick, whereas The Dane is much more open as either a Boost, or a Drive, or having both on.

My personal bias is to be noted…. I bought The Dane when it first came out. I have a bit of Boost on all the time, and use the Drive as needed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • While Thorpy's Peacekeeper and Warthog are my favourites so far, I do like the Gunshot, although it's definitely more limited than the other two (which are hugely versatile). I tend to have the gain set relatively low and use it in conjunction with other pedals. Recently, I've been using it after a Fuzz Face with a Strat into a cleanish amp. Quite a revelation when you get both pedals set right. It really fattens up the sound nicely without losing the FF's character.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    The best overdrive is the one you like. That alters for me so I have some choices. Live they are all very simular. At home can experiment with 3 boosts with different tone settings. In a band I'll be happy with a fulldrive 2.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter