Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The brilliance of Alan Partridge - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The brilliance of Alan Partridge

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
Classic Comic relief from the 90s. Alan Partridge is a fantastic character, one of the great comedy creations for me. Coogan is a comedy genius in my eyes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Yes, love Partridge.  Been a fan since those angry farmers threw a dead cow off a bridge as his barge sailed underneath. 

Realised then that this character had been around for a while and caught up on his 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' period. 

Didn't like Alpha Papa though. It didn't seem like Alan to me. The comedy in Partridge is about him being an old square, but he wasn't square enough in that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I agree, Alan Partridge is a great comedy character, and it's interesting that Steve Cougan had developed the character over the years, so he's changed like a real person would.

Apparently less popular but Saxondale is my favourite character that he does. 
    Now I think about it, it's possibly because I recognise myself in him, as I've transitioned to being a slightly grumpy middle aged bloke. Definitely possible, that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • +1

I have sold most of my DVDs but 2 that I will never sell or give away are my Alan Partridge ones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    My 19 year old son is a huge Partridge fan.  He got us tickets for his book signing on Monday but it's now been put back to 28th Oct, presumambly because Monday was the first showing of 'The Reckoning' and Coogan had other engaments.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I'll be honest and admit I've never quite seen the appeal.

It could be that I grew up just outside Norwich and he's a big part of why everyone thinks its shit. It's actually a really nice place for the most part! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I go back to The Day Today with AP, not as far back as the radio shows. 
    It's become a bit of an industry and a bit too much but yes very funny in small doses. 
    I thought Saxondale was well observed and reminded me of a lot of people I've met through bands.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    edited October 2023
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    I think Coogan's versatility has always been underrated. He's far from being a one trick pony, as many have thought of him over the years.

I remember seeing Philomena, in which he stars with Judi Dench ... and it made me see him in a different light. Now with the role he plays in The Reckoning I there will be a plethora of roles heading his way.

I look forward to it.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Apparently less popular but Saxondale is my favourite character that he does. 
    Now I think about it, it's possibly because I recognise myself in him, as I've transitioned to being a slightly grumpy middle aged bloke. Definitely possible, that. 
    Yeah Saxondale can be a bit close to home!

The angry blinking gets me every time:

I think Scissored Isle is my favourite Partridge thing:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    I remember my mate thinking Tony Farino was real.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    edited October 2023
    Yeah, Saxondale was great! I'd love to see those again

Tony Ferrino was also really good, I was amazed at how well he did that role! I watched that song and laughed out loud a few times!

I'd definitely like to see him in more serious roles though.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited October 2023
    Coogan's really talented and versatile, but I don't think I've ever seen him in a role that I've quite been able to forget that "it's Steve Coogan".  

As for Partridge, I think he peaked with the two series of I'm Alan Partridge, which were brilliant.  The stuff before that was good too, but all the Partridge programmes since have felt a bit strained.

A mention for Paul and Pauline Calf too, they were good.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Sometimes briliant sometimes not.

On BBC Sounds there's an Alan Partridge Coronation commentary .. I swear I nearly choked it was so funny (in parts). 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited October 2023

It could be that I grew up just outside Norwich and he's a big part of why everyone thinks its shit. It's actually a really nice place for the most part! 
    Blame Delia before you blame Alan. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited October 2023

Chris Sutton always bigs Norwich up.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    His Stan laurel was v/g
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    His Stan laurel was v/g
    Agreed. They were both surprisingly good in that.
    Philly_Q said:

Chris Sutton always bigs Norwich up.
    WHERE ARE YOUUUU?

LET'S BE AVING YOU!!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I go back to The Day Today with AP
    "SHIT!"

"That was liquid football!!"

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    I go back to The Day Today with AP
    "SHIT!"

"That was liquid football!!"

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL! 
  • Anyone watched "The Trip" with Coogan and the "Welsh Man". Worth watching for the "Michael Caine" impressions and the wonderful scenery (M1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFIQIpC5_wY&t=5s

“Ken sent me.”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • “Ken sent me.”
  • danodano Frets: 1484

What did you think about the pedestrianisation of Norwich City centre ? 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    For me Saxondale was his high point.

Superb, with all the in-muso type jokes and a great cast of supporting characters as well. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1206

The trip at 50 seconds is one of my favourite Partridge moments.
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 265
    The Partridge audiobooks are exceptional. I kept trying to fall asleep to the last one but would burst out laughing. In terms of creating/developing the character, Armando Ianucci doesn't get enough credit for his role in that IMO, and I believe most of his early material was written by Stewart Lee and Richard Herring. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dano said:

What did you think about the pedestrianisation of Norwich City centre ? 
    People forget that traders need access to Dixons. But it will help people in wheelchairs….
    I can't be assed with finding the clip, but I love the bit where he see's Dan!

Dan ..... Dan .... Dan ..... Dan .... Dan ..... Dan .... 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Look what just popped up