Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fender Highway - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fender Highway

What's Hot
Just seen these released today. I know they might polarise opinions, but I sort of like the look/concept….though unsure how much use it would really get in preference to a regular acoustic. Any thoughts?

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/acoustic-series/highway-series/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    I’ve never been a fan of that type of headstock on an acoustic, it just looks so wrong to me. I quite liked the look of the paramount series but never got a chance to try one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I think the all mahogany parlour one looks great. Really attractive.
    The strat/tele acoustasonics in comparison were just hideous.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Next please.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I want to like these but something doesn't work for me. Part of it is that they just don't seem to sound that great in the clips posted. Equally I'm a 6ft bloke who's been playing for 20+ years, so I'm probably not the main market, which I assume is younger/newer players who might favour this as a plug & play option over a "big" acoustic and care less about the sound
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    I agree with @ditchboy , the headstock looks totally wrong on an acoustic - almost like it's a cobbled together spare-parts-bin job.
    They may play/sound really nice but there's plenty of competition at around a grand.
    But hey, whatever floats your boat!
     :)

• I like the look (reminds me of Turner Model 1) but they sound awful to me. Also the people demoing them seem to be struggling to play them!

Notice she says ‘more reliable setup’ when compared to acoustasonic series. Hmmm typical Fender telling you the latest thing is better than the last.

I admire Fender for trying new stuff, but their approach with Acoustics is just wrong. They need to hire someone who really understands acoustics. They have the money and infrastructure… they should buy out George Gruhn’s new factory and bring back Tacoma. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    They don't have any of the tones that the Acoustasonics have, do they?

One of the reviews (Alamo Music) said it sounded like bedsprings. I didn't make it all the way through the review because the quality of the recording was terrible, but he didn't seem massively impressed. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Asset management as opposed to innovation or creation. Lazy stuff.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Fender Highwayman?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Good lord they are awful! What a pointless product.
  • I have to say that I dont mind the headstock on an acoustic like this. My caveat is that there are already three previous models like this. One is called a Malibu and I cant remember the other two US related names. They seem to fill most size gaps too. A pointless exercise it seems.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited October 2023
    I was prepared to hate them, but after watching the video I think they’re all right for the niche they appear to be trying to fill - something easy to play, stands up to the rigours of live use, and sounds close enough to an acoustic guitar to performers and audiences who are used to amplified piezo sounds.