Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I was 14 years old and this album rocked my world. New York Dolls. - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I was 14 years old and this album rocked my world. New York Dolls.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
edited October 2023 in Music
It's like a time capsule for me.
Rough as feck but absolutely joyous.
Oh for 1973...
The bonus was my dad hated it and thought I'd lost my marbles. :grin: 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    You and Morrissey 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    I had the single, the B side was "Vietnamese Baby".
    Most punters did not appreciate me putting it on the pub juke box at the time
     ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    They were an important band in the grand scheme of things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I dragged my mother to one of there concerts in NYC in the early 70s .
    She really enjoyed it more than I did..
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Brilliant stuff, "Mock Rock" as whispering Bob sniffily called it on TOGWT
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    My favourite off that album..
    Jet Boy
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    I loved that album too. I was 13 or 14 when I first heard it. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    The Dolls were great. David Johansen was a fantastic lyricist. Second album is really good tool.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Big respect for the Dolls, I like some music to sound on the verge of collapsing, which it does. One small nitpick, I wish that they were that shambolic on purpose but it no biggie. There's a few other contemporary acts that were equally clueless about just why they were great, or they were tyring to hit a different target altogether (and failing, gloriously). Love it.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    Didn't one of their guitars end up in the hands of Steve Jones?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Vintage65 said:
    Didn't one of their guitars end up in the hands of Steve Jones?
    Sylvain Syvain's Gibson LP Custom. Allegedly courtesy of Mr. McLaren's machinations... discussions here https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/does-anyone-have-information-on-steve-jones-1954-les-paul-custom.172216/