Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Origin NPD aka "why didn't you guys tell me sooner?!" - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Origin NPD aka "why didn't you guys tell me sooner?!"

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
I've had an Origin Revival Drive Compact since early 2020, or so. It's a fabulous bit of kit that turned me onto Origin stuff and I have several of theirs now (SVT Bassrig, Cali Bass comp, Halcyon Green) - all are great.

After realising I needed more options to get heavier Marshall style sounds alongside my favourite black panel vibes, this came today. 

It's so absurdly much even better than the Compact that I can't believe people don't talk about it even more than they already do. I'm genuinely awed by it. Maybe I goose this with the Page and we can all finally live in peace and harmony.... 

And I haven't even really dialled it in yet in terms of all the mini controls and switches. Next rehearsal's going to be FUN :D 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• In keeping with todays contributions, it has 11 more knobs on it than my amp. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Yeah, it has 10 more than mine! But sounds bloody marvellous :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Congrats. Personally, I couldn't be arsed with anything, including amps, that has that many knobs. And there's the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 248
    It’s an excellent pedal, and worth spending the time dialing it in. Have fun with it!
    edited October 2023
    Neither can I usually, and those same factors put me off for a long time! But then I realised it's pretty much all set & forget - I want the RH side for crunchy Marshall duties and the LH for 60s/70s Fender feel, so once they're dialled in I won't change them. Likewise the stuff at the bottom is mostly just to fine tune, so you'll do it once then ignore it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Neither can I usually, and those same factors put me off for a long time! But then I realised it's pretty much all set & forget - I want the RH side for crunchy Marshall duties and the LH for 60s/70s Fender feel, so once they're dialled in I won't change them. Likewise the stuff at the bottom is mostly just to fine tune, so you'll do it once then ignore it. 
    You mist be joking, for nearly 700 quid I'll be twiddling the dials all day long to get my money's worth.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 426
    I got the HotRod edition secondhand, and hands down the best gain pedal I've used. Not sure how much more gain it has on tap, but can dial in most sounds that I want. Only problem it's in a different country than I am right now :(
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    @Sassafras ; I didn't pay anywhere near 700! Granted I didn't have to pay VAT, but it was 450 EUR

@MrSwanson I def don't need the higher gain one but I bet it's amazing fun
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I just got one (the Custom) from Reverb for £350. Killer pedal as is all my Origin Stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    I’ve had the compact for a couple of months and I’m loving it so far, especially for tweedy sounds with a Strat. I’ll probably end up with the big version at some point! 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
    Yes, bought one when they first came out. Use it as my recording rig with a Mooer Radar. I think it’s exceptionally good.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Rowby1 said:
    Yes, bought one when they first came out. Use it as my recording rig with a Mooer Radar. I think it’s exceptionally good.
    Me too but with a Two Notes Torpedo CAB. I have a second one (with extra foot switch) on my big pedal board and a Compact on my rock’n’roll board.

Full disclosure - just ordered a DSM Humboldt Simplifier MkII for my ampless rig. A detailed explanation will follow in the NED thread (E for effect - it’s not strictly a pedal!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ooh, on the subject of footswitches... is the Mid Boost switch DIY-able? 

I don't really feel the need to spend another 80-odd if I can DIY one into a 1590A. I don't need the blend switch
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1602
    Don't diss the blend switch!

Superb for going from edge of breakup to full filth

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I'm sure it sounds amazing, but just looking at it brings me out in a cold sweat. 

I'm much happier with 3 knob drive boxes.
    I'm sure it sounds amazing, but just looking at it brings me out in a cold sweat. 

I'm much happier with 3 knob drive boxes.
    I've worked up to it by using the Compact one for almost 4 years. Once you have that clear it's not a big jump to realise this is essentially just 2 channels of the same thing.

TBH It's easier to set exactly how I want than the ridiculous Vox-style (Bass - Treble - Cut) tonestack on my BadCat...
  • Yeah, it has 10 more than mine! But sounds bloody marvellous :)
    I realise im pitching myself as a luddite here, but I also know you know what my board looks like  ;)

Im sure I'd love this, to be fair. My only Origin effects experience is the Cali 76CD, and I thought it was great. Often think about getting another one. 
    Maybe I goose this with the Page and we can all finally live in peace and harmony.... 

Oh boy. It's too early to talk about peace in our time, but this works as well as expected. Absolute magic. 

I've asked Origin if there's a way to trigger the mid boost without their footswitch (I'm sure I already know the answer...), but either way I think I've got the gigging rig decisions sorted as far as gain stages go now. I'm 50/50 whether I'll want another boost or Klone but the bones of it will be the RD and Page. I haven't been this excited about pedals in ages :D 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    I liked the compact but found it too compressed for my taste into anything that was not a bit hard and clean sounding. Excellent pedal though. 
  • Check out the revival trem or whatever its called - its a fantastic drive pedal. Seriously good.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    Check out the revival trem or whatever its called - its a fantastic drive pedal. Seriously good.
    Yeah I really fancy the Magma as well
    edited October 2023
    Maybe I goose this with the Page and we can all finally live in peace and harmony.... 

Oh boy. It's too early to talk about peace in our time, but this works as well as expected. Absolute magic. 

I've asked Origin if there's a way to trigger the mid boost without their footswitch (I'm sure I already know the answer...), but either way I think I've got the gigging rig decisions sorted as far as gain stages go now. I'm 50/50 whether I'll want another boost or Klone but the bones of it will be the RD and Page. I haven't been this excited about pedals in ages D 
    They replied quickly with detailed instructions. Super-simple with either a custom switch and normal TRS cable or normal latching switch and custom TRS cable. And I'm 99% sure adding an LED will be just a series insert as well, so will have a play with that tonight. I'm not worried about the Blend switch at the moment, but will experiment in time, I'm sure  

Highly impressed with the quick & detailed comms - top stuff
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    What do you put this in front of? An amp, or an frfr?
    I'm running it into an almost-clean amp, but you can send it straight to a power amp. I think if you didn't have guitar cab speakers involved you'd want some sort of IR box in there as well.