Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone lived with a Vega trem for a while? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone lived with a Vega trem for a while?

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 3795
I'm particularly interested to see if the claims of Floyd-esque return to pitch live up to the hype - I'm a bit skeptical if used with standard nut and tuners.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• (Watching :+1: )
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I assume your talking the  Wingman or it’s ilk, I’ve come across Vega banjos and acoustic guitars many a time in the past but no experience of the new electrics. Except I’ve played a Gibson Victory with almost the same headstock.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I like the claims, but the fact that every photo on the website shows the grub screws sticking up out of the saddles is concerning. That's a complete non-starter for me. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    For whatever it's worth: RJ Ronquillo had one on his main Strat (the white/rosewood Senn) for a while and seemed pretty enthusiastic (have a google), but it's not there anymore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I like the look of them and people seem to like them on videos. I was going to buy one for my current project but then I decided to use a Fishman/piezo trem that I already had.
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 124
    edited October 2023
    I like the claims, but the fact that every photo on the website shows the grub screws sticking up out of the saddles is concerning. That's a complete non-starter for me. 
    I installed one on a fender Elite strat and that was exactly the issue I found. To the point where I played with the grub screws until I stripped the thread of one. Mind you, I think I can lay claim to being the single worst forumite for setting up a guitar, so I may have been doing something wrong.

Maybe a better person could lower the trem posts and then raise the saddles to the point where the screws don't dig into your hand when you palm mute. But what would that do to the angle of the strings over the saddles? Or a much better person could source some shorter grub screws or file down the existing ones(?)

It is a pity since the original bridge was crap, and for the time I had it on the Vega felt wonderful, although the heel of my right hand has another opinion about the matter. @Lewy I wasn't doing wild dive bombs so I couldn't really comment about it being as good as a Floyd. I manage to send them out of tune as well.

• I assume your talking the  Wingman or it’s ilk, I’ve come across Vega banjos and acoustic guitars many a time in the past but no experience of the new electrics. Except I’ve played a Gibson Victory with almost the same headstock.
    No...this is something else: https://vegatrem.com/
  • I’ll start off by saying I’m now endorsed by them..but I bought my first two and love them. Been using Floyd’s and Kahler for years but love the feel of Strat Trems on the old hands. Don’t have any problems with the saddles rubbing or digging in. Was a bit wary with the block not being huge but haven’t noticed any detriment to the sound on any of the guitars they are on. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    I’ll start off by saying I’m now endorsed by them..but I bought my first two and love them. Been using Floyd’s and Kahler for years but love the feel of Strat Trems on the old hands. Don’t have any problems with the saddles rubbing or digging in. Was a bit wary with the block not being huge but haven’t noticed any detriment to the sound on any of the guitars they are on. 
    Interesting! And how's return to pitch after divebombing?
    drippycat said:
    I installed one on a fender Elite strat and that was exactly the issue I found. To the point where I played with the grub screws until I stripped the thread of one. Mind you, I think I can lay claim to being the single worst forumite for setting up a guitar, so I may have been doing something wrong.

Maybe a better person could lower the trem posts and then raise the saddles to the point where the screws don't dig into your hand when you palm mute. But what would that do to the angle of the strings over the saddles? Or a much better person could source some shorter grub screws or file down the existing ones(?)

The solution is to shim the neck to give a little back-angle and let you get the saddles high. I've done exactly this on my own Strat. 

But the fact that the manufacturer of this new miracle trem hasn't done it in their own marketing photos instantly tells me they don't understand Strats that well
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 124
    drippycat said:

The solution is to shim the neck to give a little back-angle and let you get the saddles high. I've done exactly this on my own Strat. 

But the fact that the manufacturer of this new miracle trem hasn't done it in their own marketing photos instantly tells me they don't understand Strats that well
    Ah! Thanks for the advice!
    I should clarify - I haven't tried one and it's entirely possible the grub screw thing is fixable with a shim without messing with the trem's operation. It just puts me off, is all! 
  • You can also buy grub screws in varying heights (I've done so for a Fender bridge where they were too high) and I'd be surprised if they used a difference sized screw. It's a cheap fix even though the vegatrem is already pricy enough without needing a small additional purchase 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited October 2023
    drippycat said:

Or you could buy shorter grub screws, not difficult so long as you can get the right thread size. (Edit: sorry, @TheModiesel has already made the same suggestion)
  • Lewy said:
    I’ll start off by saying I’m now endorsed by them..but I bought my first two and love them. Been using Floyd’s and Kahler for years but love the feel of Strat Trems on the old hands. Don’t have any problems with the saddles rubbing or digging in. Was a bit wary with the block not being huge but haven’t noticed any detriment to the sound on any of the guitars they are on. 
    Interesting! And how's return to pitch after divebombing?
    I’ve had no major issues, just the same as my Floyd’s and less than my kahlers tuning wise. I did an hour and half set and it worked spot on using my PRS. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited October 2023
    I assume your talking the  Wingman or it’s ilk, I’ve come across Vega banjos and acoustic guitars many a time in the past but no experience of the new electrics. Except I’ve played a Gibson Victory with almost the same headstock.
    I commented befor @Lewy altered the title of the thread, the original title didn’t mention the trem bit , hence my comment . This is what I found after a quick google https://baumguitars.com/vega-wingman/
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    I commented befor @Lewy altered the title of the thread, the original title didn’t mention the trem bit , hence my comment . This is what I found after a quick google https://baumguitars.com/vega-wingman/
     B) 
  • I have one and it’s my favourite trem I’ve owned. Can’t stand Floyds and really love a standard 2 point trem.