Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New PRS SEs - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New PRS SEs

What's Hot
Looks like there is a few new models coming to the SE lineup. Love the look of the swamp ash special. Very smart in vintage sunburst. Striking how similar it looks to the original. I guess including the CE as another bolt on option was an easy choice after deciding to do the Swamp Ash. There is now a quilt top CS24 in the regular line up too. 

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I really like the looks of the first one with the maple fretboard 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    edited October 2023
    The turquoise SAS looks great, it’s about time that model got some more widespread love.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I really like the looks of the first three pickups one above.
    But don’t need anymore PRS guitars.
    Im happy with the four we already have.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I’d be very surprised if they didn’t shift a lot of the special. Its stock has risen since it was discontinued from core and I reckon that’s one heck of a guitar at under a grand. I’ll be trying one out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Holy shit, the Swamp Ash Special looks amazing.  At a glance I would not have thought "SE" for a moment.

Does this mean there are new core and S2 models, or are they only announcing SEs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    Looks like the SE Silver Sky paved the way for the SE CE - same neck joint as opposed to the neck joint ok the core CE.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I keep hoping for some reason that whenever PRS announces new guitars, that they will re release the SE One, even as a SE again, S2, Core, even Private Stock, really strange in my opinion that they discontinued the SE One in the first place in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Yeah that Swamp Ash even has me interested. Crikey! 

Does it count as a Superstrat...? :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    …really strange in my opinion that they discontinued the SE One in the first place in my opinion…
    ^This. I’m not particularly a fan of PRS guitars but I could definitely be tempted by an SE One (especially in that swamp ash with maple board).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    The SE Swamp Ash is the clear winner to me -  Was always a fan of the original SAS and prefer it to the Silver Sky in that 'Straty flavoured' way - Far more of what a PRS Strat is about IMO - The Silver Sky is not really Paul's Strat it is John's 

Interesting they've gone with the 3 way LP toggle switch on the SAS, as per the original format - Preferred later when they went with a 5 way - More logical format IMO - Assuming then with the 3 way switch, it will just switch between the humbucker options and then you bring in a push pull pot for the middle pick-up for those 'in between/split' sounds

The issue is price and how much more would it cost me to buy a used original USA version 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • They look great, especially that Swamp Ash model. I was really impressed when I tried the latest SEs and would expect these to be good too.

The review models Phillip McKnight got seemed impressive. 

• I've been looking at the SAS at retailers where they use pictures of the actual instrument - quite a few have poorly chosen or mismatched 3 piece bodies. A darker colour might be a wiser choice.
  • Oddly there's no way of having the single coil on its own on the SAS. 

• I've been looking at the SAS at retailers where they use pictures of the actual instrument - quite a few have poorly chosen or mismatched 3 piece bodies. A darker colour might be a wiser choice.
    This has been a problem on SE models recently. Some of the wood matching on the bodies has been awful.

• normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    I watched the demo of the SAS last night and thought the mixed / split sounds were awful. Shame as I really wanted to like them.
    Even on the promo pics, if that's the matching they've got on the best ones then I suspect what'll be in stores will be very hit and miss. 

Nice finishes though. Weird pickup selection choice - you have to pop up the tone to access the middle pickup in any position as default is Bridge, Bridge + Neck, Neck. Five way would have been better. 
  • AlunAlun Frets: 79
    I'd love the CE24 if it was a CE22 with solid colour paint and a stoptail. The CU24 quilt looks awful for my tastes personally but each to their own. The SAS looks and sounds pretty cool but it's a shame that they're multi-piece bodies.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    The very first PRS Classic Electric models only came in solid opaque paint finishes.

After a few years, public demand brought the figured maple caps. (Effectively, a poverty model version of the Custom.) IMO, this was a mistake. The screwed-on neck alder/maple guitars had a sonic identity of their own. It complimented the set neck mahogany models.
    Be seeing you.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Alun said:
    I'd love the CE24 if it was a CE22 with solid colour paint and a stoptail. The CU24 quilt looks awful for my tastes personally but each to their own. The SAS looks and sounds pretty cool but it's a shame that they're multi-piece bodies.

Cost.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    They look great, especially that Swamp Ash model. I was really impressed when I tried the latest SEs and would expect these to be good too.

The review models Phillip McKnight got seemed impressive. 

Phil shows all the stuff I want to see. Lots of value in his deep drives
    I've been looking at the SAS at retailers where they use pictures of the actual instrument - quite a few have poorly chosen or mismatched 3 piece bodies. A darker colour might be a wiser choice.
    This has been a problem on SE models recently. Some of the wood matching on the bodies has been awful.
    PRS were never very good at matching the grain lines on SASs even back in the day, look at these two.  But I'm sure some of the SEs will be worse, I certainly wouldn't buy blind.

• Philly_Q said:
    I've been looking at the SAS at retailers where they use pictures of the actual instrument - quite a few have poorly chosen or mismatched 3 piece bodies. A darker colour might be a wiser choice.
    PRS were never very good at matching the grain lines on SASs even back in the day, look at these two.  But I'm sure some of the SEs will be worse, I certainly wouldn't buy blind.

The top one isn't too bad, I could live with that. This is one offered by Brians in the US.

The charcoal colour varies a lot too, they have one that is nearly opaque.
    Yeah, that's not good.  Although having said that, it probably looks fine from a distance.

When you look at 1970s ash-bodied Fenders, they don't seem to have even tried to match the grain lines and hide the joins.  It's almost like no-one had even considered it as a concept.  I've got an early '80s Aria CS-400 with a four-piece ash body, the joins are really obvious but it's a nice sunburst and I still think it looks cool.
  • MattPMattP Frets: 240
    Looks like they've put the route for the middle pickup the right way round. Or the wrong way, if the US SAS is the benchmark. Either way, it looks great, especially with the plain maple neck. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I thought they used up all the mismatched pieces of wood on the solid finished SE models?

OK, so it shouldn't affect playability or tone, but - IMHO of course - those clashing grain patterns aren't really consistent with the PRS reputation for wow / beauty / bling guitars.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1111
    Could definitely be on the hook for a SAS….any idea when they are due to go on sale?