Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tommy(The Who) Album or Soundtrack? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tommy(The Who) Album or Soundtrack?

Discuss innit.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 214
    Live at Leeds Deluxe version. 

You lose some filler and weaker tracks (Sensation, Underture, Cousin Kevin, Welcome) and just get a much leaner and more powerful piece.

The soundtrack version has too much synth, not enough Keith Moon and vastly more singing Oliver Reed than anyone should have to sit through.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Album.  Nothing else comes close.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 198
    The album is rather imperfect for me, and I think the band wasn't totally happy with the production side of it. Townshend would be most pleased with the soundtrack, but it's the Live at Leeds version all day for me, for the reasons @idiotwind mentioned already.
  • @idiotwind @Emiel OK you've sold me, looking around is it the Deluxe edition I need?
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 214
    @idiotwind @Emiel OK you've sold me, looking around is it the Deluxe edition I need?
    Yes, it's the two disc version.  Has the whole of Tommy on disc 2 (it actually fits in after A Quick One in the actual running order)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Emiel said:
    The album is rather imperfect for me, and I think the band wasn't totally happy with the production side of it. Townshend would be most pleased with the soundtrack, but it's the Live at Leeds version all day for me, for the reasons @idiotwind mentioned already.
    It's one of the three Who albums I've got, and I've always found it very underwhelming.  Never heard the soundtrack version, but I do like the film so I guess I might prefer the soundtrack LP.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    I do like the Elton John version of Pinball Wizard though a lot for some reason. I think when I was a kid that was the one I heard first and it kind of imprinted.