Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Orville vs the real thing - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Orville vs the real thing

What's Hot
KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
edited October 2023 in Guitar
Morning all,

How do they stack up against a Gibson?
There's a 96 LP standard for sale locally that I got my eye on. Is there a particulary good year or period for these to look for? It only says Orville on the headstock, not the 'by Gibson' thing. 

The one I'm looking at has a highly flamed top. Does anyone know if these are maple tops, veneers or maybe the photo flame thing like on Jap fenders?

Are the pots and pups any good or would require some work on? 

I've not played the guitar yet which would probably answer some of my questions if I did but wouldn't mind doing it with some pre-loaded knowledge before getting in the car. 

Thanks in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader

Orville's great :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • As much as I’ve wanted them to be better than their US equivalents, I’ve never found the MIJ guitars to wholly stack up against them. Bits of them, yes - but not as a package. Just my 2p. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    My feeling is much like the old 80s Japanese Squiers. They were brilliant value when they could be had for half the price of a "real one". That turned into a simple unqualified "these are amazing guitars" and the value went up, but they're not good enough to justify those relative increases imo. Still really good but not guaranteed-better-than-Gibson as sellers would love you to believe
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have an Orville by Gibson from the early 90s, it came with 57 Classics, CTS pots and has a solid flamed top. I would say it is somewhere between a US Standard and a Custom Shop in terms of quality.

The regular Orvilles are different again, more likely to be a veneer flame. No idea about the electronics, ask the seller for a photo. Otherwise, try it and see if it floats your boat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What are these guitars? I've never heard of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    edited October 2023
    What are these guitars? I've never heard of them.
    Gibson licensed guitars built by Fujigen and Terada and distributed by Yamano Gakki from 1988 to 1998 to try to combat the copies coming from Tokai/Burny/Greco etc.
    Orville by Gibson generally have nitro finishes, long neck tenons, Gibson pickups, solid tops.
    Ones just branded Orville are a bit lower in the range - short neck tenons, poly finishes, Japanese PAF copies, veneer tops.

Trogly's got a good summary video as he goes over an ObG Custom.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Whats the serial number, thatll tell more about the  specs 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited October 2023
    Dunsy in Edinburgh has bought a few different Orville guitars from Zen Market in Japan and reviewed them on his Dunsy’s Guitar World YouTube channel.
    Worth a look if you’re interested in the history of Orville guitars.

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137

Orville's great :-)
    Aaaaw thanks man ;)

Thanks all for the replies. 
    I've watched a few YT clips, this chap Nick In The States seems to know a lot about them. 

The one I'm looking at is half the Gibson money. The serial is 601567. 

Guess I'll just jump in the car and play the goddamn thing before coming to any conclusions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Should be a 1996 Fujigen built model. Will be photoflame with Japanese made PAF clones and hardware. Long neck tenon construction. Lower end of the Orville models but should still be a good guitar if the price is right. Just check for splits in the flame top as they are prone to falling apart 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
    kennyabis said:
    Should be a 1996 Fujigen built model. Will be photoflame with Japanese made PAF clones and hardware. Long neck tenon construction. Lower end of the Orville models but should still be a good guitar if the price is right. Just check for splits in the flame top as they are prone to falling apart 
    Thanks a million. Marvellous amount of info @kennyabis!