Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitar shipping options - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitar shipping options

What's Hot
I'm thinking about buying an acoustic mail order from a store.  Hopefully, the guitar would be a keeper, but if not, I'm wondering how I might go about shipping it back to the store.

Does Royal Mail have a suitable service, or would I have to use a courier?  I'd obviously have to insure the guitar (the value would be around £2000).  How much is the return likely to cost?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    I just shipped an electric with Overland Express for £26, £10 of that was insurance (to cover a value of £500). It was collected by DHL and arrived the next day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks very much - that's good to know. 

I think I'm going to try and visit a store to try some guitars, but if I do end up buying one mail order which isn't available more locally it's helpful to know that returning it might not be too difficult or expensive.
  • elkayelkay Frets: 64
    edited October 2023
    I too recently used Overland Express, and can highly recommend them. Having said that, most of the better online retailers will arrange for the collection of guitars you want to return, some for free, and some for a small fee. Check out their returns arrangements before you place your order.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    elkay said:
    I too recently used Overland Express, and can highly recommend them. Having said that, most of the better online retailers will arrange for the collection of guitars you want to return, some for free, and some for a small fee. Check out their returns arrangements before you place your order.
    Definitely worth bearing in mind- I could be wrong but I think if the retailer sorts out the return (i.e. they pay for it, maybe even if they take some money from you for it ?) they take on the risk, whereas if you do the return, the risk is on you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter