Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone else find driving into Leeds is awful - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone else find driving into Leeds is awful

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    PeteC said:

Used to be some really good music shops there too in the 70s and 80s - but all since decimated by the big box stores, eBay and Reverb ( yes, I'm just getting old...) 

I was at the University 87-90.  I can't remember the names but there was one big store on The Headow (if you came out of the St Johns Centre and turned right down the hill it was on the right hand side) where I bought my Squier Strat in LPB.

There was another place where I got my Laney combo after my finals, but I think that even the building no longer exists.  Possibly demolished to make way for the Arena?

Happy days.   Lived on Chestnut Ave, Hyde Park cinema at the bottom of the road and gigging at The Royal Park a little further down.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    sev112 said:
    Gsev112 said:
    Went to visit son at Uni on Saturday, this is our second time going, what an awful city, the road layouts are like someone threw cooked spaghetti into the air and just left it as it landed, every junction has like 3 options all next to each other, but maybe 1 or two will be no entry, in fact no entry signs everywhere, totally over stimulating, busy busy, cars beeping, people getting angry, mad overtakers. I hate driving into Leeds. Awful. 
    Not as bad as trying to get into a taxi … ;) 
    A girl in a tracksuit attacked me !
    She said that she got there before me …
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I once went to Leeds for a laugh
      came back in stitches 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Be glad you don’t have to load in a bunch of gear for city centre functions then. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slacker said:
    My daughter learnt to drive in Ealing and then went to live in the country near Taunton. They never knew what hit them.

did it evaporate after the collision?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2467
    randella said:
    Like any town or city, if you live there, you learn to negotiate it. If you’re a stranger to any town, the roads can be intimidating.
    Before you slag off my home town, let me tell you, I was on the road for years. Try Manchester and Stoke, both an absolute mare and no doubt there are dozens more examples. 
    This about sums it up. I deal with the Mancunian Way on the regular without really thinking. It's what you get used to.

On the other hand, my friends in Leeds think nothing of the Loop which I bloody hate and puts me in mind of an ill-tempered Large Hadron Collider.
    Is that what they call the inner ring road now? You should have tried it when it was a 60 limit (or was it 70?) and technically a motorway, proper Blade Runner at night through the tunnels. IIRC it had the claim to fame of being the only motorway in the UK with an exit slip road on the right hand side at one point (onto North street/New Briggate)

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    FX_Munkee said:
    randella said:
    Like any town or city, if you live there, you learn to negotiate it. If you’re a stranger to any town, the roads can be intimidating.
    Before you slag off my home town, let me tell you, I was on the road for years. Try Manchester and Stoke, both an absolute mare and no doubt there are dozens more examples. 
    This about sums it up. I deal with the Mancunian Way on the regular without really thinking. It's what you get used to.

On the other hand, my friends in Leeds think nothing of the Loop which I bloody hate and puts me in mind of an ill-tempered Large Hadron Collider.
    Is that what they call the inner ring road now? You should have tried it when it was a 60 limit (or was it 70?) and technically a motorway, proper Blade Runner at night through the tunnels. IIRC it had the claim to fame of being the only motorway in the UK with an exit slip road on the right hand side at one point (onto North street/New Briggate)

That was fun before they cut the speed limits.  Same as the Peripherique - I used to love that before they put cameras in and now everyone drives like a very slow older person.

What gets me is that my family used to live in both East Keswick and Bardsey and then, in the seventies, it was twenty minutes to parking up in the centre.   Which now takes an awful lot longer.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    I've been to Leeds

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Brian Clough only lasted 44 days so it must be bad. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I've never been to Leeds. 

It sounds nice though!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    https://youtu.be/duACJCpbfiQ?si=TaUQoKYDqnMKr36e

Kirkgate market is really nice, lots of different types of food at lunchtime as well. I would drive to Leeds, park in the market car park, find my son, have lunch at Mr Mackerel in the market and drive back home. Well worth a 260 mile round trip. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    https://youtu.be/duACJCpbfiQ?si=TaUQoKYDqnMKr36e

Kirkgate market is really nice, lots of different types of food at lunchtime as well. I would drive to Leeds, park in the market car park, find my son, have lunch at Mr Mackerel in the market and drive back home. Well worth a 260 mile round trip. 
     That story sounds a bit fishy